Math review for general physics

In summary, the individual is a post-bachelor, pre-med student starting general physics requirements in the fall. They are seeking recommendations for a good workbook or college textbook to practice with and what types of problems to focus on. The conversation also highlights the importance of having a strong algebra and trigonometry background for success in physics.
nomilkforsant
This is my first post, so I hope am writing it in the correct sub-forum.

Hello guys,

I am a post-bachelor, pre-med student that will be starting the general physics requirements in the fall (2011). Medical schools only require algebra based physics, and the vast majority have dropped the calculus requirements. The highest math class I completed was College Algebra and Trig, which is all that is needed in general physics, however, that was over 3 years ago.

My girlfriend has convinced me that I need a strong algebra background with a general understanding of the trig functions to do well in general physics. Can anybody recommend a good workbook or college textbook that will allow to drill problems? Also, what specific types of problems should i be focusing on?

Thank you,

Nathan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on the Pythagorean theorem, the definitions of sin, cos, and tan, and rational functions. The math in intro physics is technically very simple (most of the math in my calc-based course was arithmetic only). The difficulties lie in setting up the problems themselves. Be comfortable with your algebra and trig, but the math in physics is really something you learn only in physics.

My girlfriend has convinced me that I need a strong algebra background with a general understanding of the trig functions to do well in general physics. Can anybody recommend a good workbook or college textbook that will allow to drill problems? Also, what specific types of problems should i be focusing on?

Thank you,

Nathan.

She's right. You need at least basic Trigonometry and strong Algebra skills. Give yourself about 4 to 6 months and review College Algebra and Trigonometry what good reliable textbooks. I suggest College Algebra just to help your analytical thinking, but you can still review Algebra well enough at Intermediate instead.

If you decide to go into the Calculus based courses and need two semesters of Calculus, and if you have credit for College Algebra And Trigonometry, you might be permitted to just enroll in Calculus 1. You could then enroll into the Physics 1 (whichever is the first fundamental course) when you are ready.

1. What topics are typically covered in math review for general physics?

The topics typically covered in math review for general physics include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and basic geometry. These topics are important for understanding the mathematical principles and equations used in physics.

2. What are some common mathematical equations used in general physics?

Some common mathematical equations used in general physics include Newton's laws of motion, the equations for kinetic and potential energy, and the equations for work and power. In addition, concepts such as vectors, derivatives, and integrals are commonly used in physics equations.

3. How important is math in understanding physics?

Math is essential in understanding physics because it provides the tools to describe and analyze physical phenomena. Without a strong foundation in math, it can be difficult to fully grasp the concepts and equations used in physics.

4. What are some tips for improving math skills for general physics?

Some tips for improving math skills for general physics include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and breaking complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to review and reinforce basic math concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.

5. Are there any online resources for math review specifically for general physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for math review for general physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax. Additionally, many textbooks and study guides for general physics also include sections on math review.