Math riddle, eliminating 2 of 3 answers with limited info

  • Thread starter Thread starter reddragonguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Riddle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
reddragonguy
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
remove wrong forum/problem solved though

thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may be thinking too hard.

Consider this: what if YOU, the person asking the question, were also thinking of a number or numbers in your head, and your question involves a COMPARISON between the number/numbers you're thinking of and the number the other person wrote down?69
 
You can ask "Is the logaritm of 10 with this number as a base is bigger then 3?". Answer will be
-yes if it is 2 (because log(10) by base 2 equals 3,32)
-no for 3 (log(10) by base 3 equals 2,1)
-I don't know for 1 (because log(10) by base 1 is undefined).
 
Trave11er said:
You can ask "Is the logaritm of 10 with this number as a base is bigger then 3?". Answer will be
-yes if it is 2 (because log(10) by base 2 equals 3,32)
-no for 3 (log(10) by base 3 equals 2,1)
-I don't know for 1 (because log(10) by base 1 is undefined).

Thanks so much, it has been frustrating me so much lol.

I never thought of using logs it's just something that I personally don't use in math that often.
I knew/felt like the "I don't know" had something to do with it, genius of you to get one of the results to undefined