kkaterr Messages 7 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Aug 29, 2012 #1 A guy spends 1/6 of his life as a boy, 1/8 as a youth, 1/2 as a man and 15 years as a mature adult. I got about 70 by trial and error but I need to know exactly how to solve it.
A guy spends 1/6 of his life as a boy, 1/8 as a youth, 1/2 as a man and 15 years as a mature adult. I got about 70 by trial and error but I need to know exactly how to solve it.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #2 Let the variable L be the length of his life. Add up all of the parts you've got and equate it to L. Now solve for L.
Let the variable L be the length of his life. Add up all of the parts you've got and equate it to L. Now solve for L.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #4 kkaterr said: I do that and get 15.79. That can't be right. No, it isn't. Show what you did.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #6 kkaterr said: (1/6)+(1/8)+(1/2)+15 One sixth of his life is L/6. What's one eighth of his life? What's the total?
kkaterr said: (1/6)+(1/8)+(1/2)+15 One sixth of his life is L/6. What's one eighth of his life? What's the total?
kkaterr Messages 7 Reaction score 0 Aug 29, 2012 #7 Going by your logic one eighth would be L/8, I'm not sure what the total is..
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #8 kkaterr said: Going by your logic one eighth would be L/8, I'm not sure what the total is.. The total is his whole life. That's L. What's the sum that is equal to L? You are doing fine so far. Write the sum that is equal to L.
kkaterr said: Going by your logic one eighth would be L/8, I'm not sure what the total is.. The total is his whole life. That's L. What's the sum that is equal to L? You are doing fine so far. Write the sum that is equal to L.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #10 kkaterr said: L/6+L/8+L/2=L Like that? Close. What about the 15? Where does that go?
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Aug 29, 2012 #12 kkaterr said: L/6+l/8+l/2+15=l Yes! Now can you use algebra to solve for L? It is pretty close to 70.
kkaterr said: L/6+l/8+l/2+15=l Yes! Now can you use algebra to solve for L? It is pretty close to 70.