Math symbols formatting

how do you type superscript Text and subscript Text, not using the symbols like 2^2 ?

2[ sup ]2[ /sup ], but without the spaces (sub for subscripts), see: 22, 22

testing

got it, thx

Nice!

But what about the integration and differentiation signs? and the rest of these signs too, if possible.

hhegab

Whenever you post a reply, you will see a box containing some "smilies" on the left.
Under this box, there is a link saying "Get More".
Click it.
A new window will pop up, you will find lot of math symbols there.
Examples (dont' forget to delete the spaces between [ ] )
[ inte ] [inte]
[ squ ] [squ]
[ del ] [del]
And others ...

Re: Nice!

Originally posted by hhegab
But what about the integration and differentiation signs? and the rest of these signs too, if possible.

hhegab
https://www.physicsforums.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=4 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It seems all greek letters can be written in the & name (no space in-between) format. However, your choice of font will affect how nice the letters look. Here's the lower case greek alphabet in times new roman:

&alpha&beta&gamma&delta&epsilon&zeta&eta&theta&iota&kappa&lambda&mu&nu&pi&omicron&xi&rho&sigma&tau&upsilon&phi&chi&psi&omega

You can always fall back on windows-style specification of symbols. For instance, if you hold down the alt-key and enter numbers on the number pad, you can get:

× alt-0215
÷ alt-0247

I would be entirely unsurprised if there's pre-existing documentation of all of the characters one can create via the "& name" format, but I don't know where it is.

Hurkyl

Last edited:

climbhi

Originally posted by Hurkyl
I would be entirely unsurprised if there's pre-existing documentation of all of the characters one can create via the "& name" format, but I don't know where it is.

Hurkyl
Some one posted a link to a pretty exhaustive site documenting the &name format characters. The link is in the feedback forum in a topic called math symbols or something, its near the bottom and is really good.