Defining S: Axioms & Theorems

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axioms
In summary, the conversation revolves around the definition and role of axioms in a mathematical system. The system S is defined as S={E,O,A}, where E is a set of elements, O is a set of operations and relations on E, and A is a set of axioms concerning the elements of O and E. The question is raised whether the definition of E and O can be considered axioms, and whether certain properties can be derived as theorems or must be considered axioms. The use of explicit definitions and exhaustive examination of instances to prove properties is discussed, with the conclusion that an axiom or theorem must be established to prove that all instances have been examined.
StephenPrivitera
A mathematical system S is defined as S={E,O,A}. A is the set of axioms describing the system. Is the definition of E considered an axiom? For example, if I want E={a,b}, then in the set A, do I write A={...,E={a,b},...}?
Also, is the definition of O an axiom? Say O={~,V} and then I define ~ to be a function from E to E such that ~={(a,b),(b,a)}. V is a binary operation on E such that V={((a,b),a),((b,a),a),((a,a),a),((b,b),b)}. Then can the property xVy=yVx be derived as a theorem based on the definition of V or must it be considered an axiom? Is the property ~(~(x))=x a theorem based on the properties of ~, or is it better to consider this an axiom? Which is more proper: to establish axioms describing the properties of the operation V and function ~ and from these properties determine their exact definition or to define the functions exactly and derive their properties (for this situation, the fact the V and ~ are of the exact form above is more important than the fact that they have the properties above)?
I hope my question is clear enough. I'm really not so sure what I'm asking myself.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I can see a glimmer of what you are talking about. It would help me greatly if you would define all the terms. What is E? What is O? Is O the set of operations? E the set of Theorems? Please provide more fundamental details.

This is from my abstract algebra book:
E is a nonempty set of elements.
O is a set of operations and relations on E.
A is a set of axioms concerning the elements of O and E.

It may help to know that I’m attempting to recreate the theorems from my logic book using the math I learned from my algebra book. The logic book is very simplistic – it doesn’t even mention the concept of theorems and axioms. It just lists “rules” which I must accept as true. I’ve been looking up the axioms of logic for several days. One source listed four. One source listed 19 for prepositional logic alone. This source listed such axioms as (A=B)=(B=A). These are very fundamental axioms. I’m willing to assume the normal axioms which I am probably already assuming by writing the logic in algebraic form. I’m most interested in which axioms are fundamental to logic. The function ~ is the negation function. The operation V is the disjunction operation. If I define V and ~ explicitly (ie, by say ~={…} and V={…}), I can determine associative, commutative, and distributive properties by exhausting all possibilities. Then I can use the properties of V and along with definitions of &, =>, <=> in terms of ~ and V to discover properties of these operations (ie, equivalences). Then when it comes to inference rules such as P, P=>Q infer Q, I can determine if there is an operation R such that xRy=(x&(x=>y))=>y=a for all x and all y (x,y in E). But although I’m confident in a great deal of what I’ve written here, I’m afraid that I’m making too many implicit assumptions. I want to make these assumptions explicit and to do this I want to make sure I’ve established all necessary axioms.

Okay, I get what you are talking about. No, the definition of A and O would not be axioms. Axioms are statements ABOUT the elements of A and O. It might well happen that members of A and O are NOT defined in any specific sense- the are simply listed as "labels" with all of there properties given by the axioms.

E={t,f}
O={~,V,&,=>,<=>}
A={} (so far)

~={(t,f),(f,t)}
So to prove ~(~(a))=a, will the following suffice?
Say a=t. Then ~(a)=f and ~(f)=t so that ~(~(a))=t=a.
Say a=f. Then ~(a)=t and ~(t)=f so that ~(~(a))=f=a.
Since a is either t or f, the property is proven.

I define V by the operation table:
V t f
t t t
f t f

To prove that aVa=a, will it suffice to show that tVt=t and fVf=f? I initially included this (and other properties) as an axiom. I can also show that aVb=bVa by the operation table through only three instances: tVt=tVt, tVf=fVt, fVf=fVf.
Again, finding the properties this way saves me an axiom. I like this axiom-avoiding approach. It seems this way that I could develop a great portion of logic without a single axiom. The distribution of V over V can be established by examining 8 instances. Eventually, I can use these properties to prove others and discard this instance by instance examination approach to proof. Is it legitimate to prove properties by examining every possible instance?

Is it legitimate to prove properties by examining every possible instance?

Only if you can prove, by some means, that you have examined every possible instance.

More formally, you need a theorem (or axiom) of the form that:

~(a = t) => a = f

Which could be derived, say, from the axiom that, for all a, a in {t, f}

Last edited:

1. What is an axiom in mathematics?

An axiom is a statement or principle that is accepted as true without proof. It is the foundation of a mathematical theory and is used to build further deductions and theorems.

2. How are axioms different from theorems?

Axioms are considered to be self-evident truths and are not proven, while theorems are statements that are proven using axioms and other previously proven theorems.

3. What is the purpose of defining S in mathematics?

Defining S is important in mathematics as it provides a clear and precise definition for a specific set of objects or concepts. This allows for logical and consistent reasoning and helps to avoid ambiguity in mathematical proofs and arguments.

4. Can axioms be changed or modified?

In general, axioms are considered to be unchangeable and are accepted as foundational truths. However, in some cases, new axioms may be introduced or modified in order to develop new mathematical theories or to solve problems that cannot be solved using existing axioms.

5. How do axioms and theorems relate to each other?

Axioms serve as the starting point for mathematical reasoning, while theorems are the end result. Theorems are proven using axioms and other previously proven theorems, and they help to expand our understanding of mathematical concepts and relationships.