Dilemma: Majoring in CS or Applied Math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision of a high school student in the Netherlands to major in either Computer Science or Applied Mathematics at the university level. The student is interested in research in the fields of computer security, bioinformatics, and computational physics/quantum computing, as well as software engineering. The speaker suggests looking at the curricula of both majors and possibly creating a customized path by taking classes from both departments. The student mentions the possibility of receiving a scholarship for studying Computer Science, and expresses envy towards the relatively low tuition costs in the Netherlands compared to the United States.
Max.Planck
Hello,

I'm a high school student in the Netherlands and next year I am going to University. I am thinking of majoring in Computer Science although I would like to hear you're opinion on the pro's/con's on studing Computer Science vs studing Applied Mathematics. Both the Math departement as the CS departement of the University I'm going to rank very well in the Netherlands. I probably want to do research on Computer Security or research in a interdisciplinary field (Bioinformatics or Computational Physics/Quantum Computing). On the other hand, I also like Software Engineering.
What do you think: Majoring in CS with a minor in Physics/Mathematics or majoring in Applied Mathematics?

Thanks,

Max.Planck

Physics news on Phys.org

Look over both curricula and see what appeals to you, but since you're also into software engineering CS may be more your speed. Applied math and comp sci overlap so heavily that you can probably do applied math research out of the CS department (that's what I'm doing.)

At my school, the two degrees overlap so significantly that it is around 7 extra classes to get a Math major if you are already doing CS. In fact a math minor is different by only an elective math course from the CS math requirements.
I would say sort of make your own way, taking whichever major you feel more strongly towards by looking at the classes, and take whichever classes out of the other that you feel might be useful.

Thanks for your replies. The curriculae indeed overlap heavily at the Uni. I'm going to choose CS because the classes appeal more to me, also if I study CS, I can maybe get a scholarship of 2400 euros per year to cover for tuition and books (studying in the Netherlands only costs 1600 euros for EU citizens).

::sigh:: I wish tuition in the states was that cheap.

1. Should I major in CS or Applied Math?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. CS majors focus more on computer programming, software development, and computer science theory, while Applied Math majors focus on mathematical theories and their applications to real-world problems. Consider what you enjoy learning and what career opportunities each major can offer.

2. What are the job prospects for CS and Applied Math majors?

Both CS and Applied Math majors have strong job prospects in a variety of industries. CS majors can pursue careers in software engineering, web development, data science, and more. Applied Math majors can find opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, and operations research. Both majors are in high demand in today's job market.

3. Is one major more challenging than the other?

Both CS and Applied Math are challenging majors, but they require different skill sets. CS majors need strong logical thinking and problem-solving skills, while Applied Math majors need a solid foundation in mathematics and critical thinking. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

4. Can I double major in CS and Applied Math?

It is certainly possible to double major in CS and Applied Math, but it may be challenging due to the rigorous coursework and time commitment. If you are considering this option, it is important to plan your schedule carefully and seek advice from academic advisors to ensure you can balance both majors successfully.

5. What skills will I learn in CS and Applied Math?

In CS, you will learn programming languages, data structures, algorithms, and other computer science concepts. In Applied Math, you will learn advanced mathematical theories, statistical analysis, and problem-solving techniques. Both majors will also help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in any career.