MATHCAD Array Operation Doesn't Work for Long Vectors

In summary: I am sure there is a setting that allows you to choose the size of the result that is displayed.In summary, the individual is seeking advice on performing array operations on vectors in MATHCAD. They have encountered an issue where vectors or matrices with dimensions longer than 9 units output a result with a black dot symbol. They are asking for suggestions on how to fix this issue and someone suggests checking the display settings in the program.
Abagnale
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I'm trying to perform array operations on vectors in MATHCAD. I am able to do it for vectors and matrices that have both dimensions that are 9 units or shorter. Anything that is 10 units or longer (ex, a vector with 10 elements) outputs a result such as:

log(Y)→ = black dot black dot

→ is the vectorized arrow.

Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Abagnale said:
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I'm trying to perform array operations on vectors in MATHCAD. I am able to do it for vectors and matrices that have both dimensions that are 9 units or shorter. Anything that is 10 units or longer (ex, a vector with 10 elements) outputs a result such as:

log(Y)→ = black dot black dot

→ is the vectorized arrow.

Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, without seeing your worksheet (or even a picture), it's difficult to say. I regularly apply the vectorize operator over millions of elements. If you could post the worksheet (you'll have to zip it before the Forum will allow you to download it), that will help get to the bottom of the problem.

NR

Consider the possibility that it could simply be a display issue...I would look into the help, the search option and search for display results or matrices or something ... or go to Options or something along those lines...somewhere

1. Why is my MATHCAD array operation not working for long vectors?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. It could be due to a syntax error in your code, an incorrect selection of array indices, or a limitation of the MATHCAD software itself. It is recommended to thoroughly check your code for any errors and consult the MATHCAD documentation for any known limitations.

2. Can I use MATHCAD for array operations on vectors with thousands of elements?

Yes, MATHCAD is capable of handling arrays with thousands of elements. However, the performance may vary depending on the complexity of the operations being performed and the capabilities of your computer.

3. How do I troubleshoot my MATHCAD array operation for long vectors?

First, check for any syntax errors or incorrect indices in your code. Then, try breaking down your operation into smaller steps and use the debugging tools in MATHCAD to identify any errors. You can also consult the MATHCAD community or support team for further assistance.

4. Are there any alternative software programs that are better suited for array operations on long vectors?

Yes, there are many other mathematical software programs that are specifically designed for handling large arrays and performing complex operations. Some popular options include MATLAB, Octave, and Python's NumPy library. It is recommended to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your needs.

5. Does the length of my vectors affect the accuracy of my MATHCAD array operation?

No, the accuracy of your array operation in MATHCAD should not be affected by the length of your vectors. However, it is always important to double-check your code and the accuracy of your input data to ensure reliable results.