[Mathematica] Confusion with Return[]

In summary: All other versions of Mathematica seem to work properly.In summary,There is a problem with the way Return[] is implemented in Mathematica, and this can cause problems when using functions with return values.
guerom00
Hello all,

There's something I don't understand when using Return[]…

Take this input :

f := Function[{x}, (If[x > 5, Return[a]]; x + 3)];
g[x_] := (If[x > 5, Return[a]]; x + 3);

and this output :

In[25]:= f[6]
g[6]

Out[25]= Return[a]

Out[26]= a

In one case, it returns the value "a", as expected. But in the other case, it writes explicitly "Return[a]". Why ? I don't understand...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the bottom line is that there must be a difference between defining a function using the notation f=Function[x,body] and the notation f[x_]=body. But I don't know, I thought those two notations were equivalent...

It looks like a bug to me...

Code:
In[1]:= f:=Function[{x},(If[x>5,Return[a]];x+3)];
       g[x_]:=(If[x>5,Return[a]];x+3);

In[3]:= f[6]//Trace
Out[3]= {{f,Function[{x},If[x>5,Return[a]];x+3]},Function[{x},If[x>5,Return[a]];x+3][6],If[6>5,Return[a]];6+3,{{6>5,True},If[True,Return[a]],Return[a]},Return[a]}

In[4]:= g[6]//Trace
Out[4]= {g[6],If[6>5,Return[a]];6+3,{{6>5,True},If[True,Return[a]],Return[a]},Return[a],a}

The point of interest is at the very end of the trace:
Code:
f:...  If[True,Return[a]],Return[a]},Return[a]}
g:...  If[True,Return[a]],Return[a]},Return[a],a}
Which is strange. Obviously it is recognizing the Return[] call, because otherwise it would move on to the next command, x+3... as happens when x<=5. It's just not evaluating Return[a] properly.

What version are you running?

OK, thanks :)
Well, at least for my purpose, using the f[x_]:=body notation solves the issue…
@Simon_Tyler: I can reproduce this issue both in 7.0.1 and 8 on a Mac.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the Return[] function in Mathematica?

The Return[] function is used to explicitly exit a function and return a specific value. It is often used within functions to control the flow of execution and return a desired result.

Why am I getting an error when using Return[] in my code?

The most common reason for getting an error with Return[] is when it is used outside of a function. Return[] should only be used within a function, as it is meant to exit the function and return a value. Using it outside of a function will result in an error.

Can I use Return[] to exit multiple levels of nested functions?

Yes, you can use Return[] to exit multiple levels of nested functions. Each Return[] statement will exit the current function and return a value to the function that called it.

How does Return[] differ from other control flow functions in Mathematica?

Unlike other control flow functions such as Break and Continue, Return[] is specifically used to exit a function and return a value. It is not meant to control the flow of execution within a loop or other control structure.

Can I use Return[] to return multiple values from a function?

No, Return[] can only be used to return a single value from a function. If you need to return multiple values, you can use a list or a rule to return them together.