Mathematica or Maple

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter germana2006
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Which of the two softwares (Mathematica and Maple) what do you think is better?

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which fruit do you think is better, the apple or the orange?

- Warren

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I prefer apples: oranges are too messy!

(I think chroot's point is that they are two different packages and thus cannot be compared. Having never used mathematica, I cannot comment.)

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, each package could probably be said to be better at certain kinds of problems, but we have no idea what kind of problems the OP wants to solve.

- Warren

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Which of the two softwares (Mathematica and Maple) what do you think is better?
Pari/GP.

Which fruit do you think is better, the apple or the orange?
Pineapple.

Mathematica.

vincentm
Gold Member
I prefer apples: oranges are too messy!

(I think chroot's point is that they are two different packages and thus cannot be compared. Having never used mathematica, I cannot comment.)

Only if they're Granny Smith apples!

vincentm
Gold Member
Pineapple.

Somone give this man a Nobel Prize, for he speaks the truth, pineapples are the god of all fruits.

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let me not get into this fruit-ful discussion (in which I agree with the pineapple :smile: - ah well, you know what I mean) and answer to the original post.

I am a (hobbyist) programmer and I know quite some languages. I try to always use the right tool for the job and the same goes here. I must admit however, that -- though I have little experience with MatLab -- Mathematica is a really really powerful package which can do almost anything imaginable. So though probably Matlab is more efficient at some problems (especially numerical ones) I am inclined to favor Mathematica in this dilemma :smile:

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have access to a free educational copy of Mathematica, so I use it from time to time to see how efficient it is. But for the problems I do (number theory), I've found that Pari/GP is often 20-50% faster, and hand-coded solutions (when appropriate) are often better yet. So I have little use for Mathematica. On the other hand, for integration there's no equal to be found for Mathematica, so it's all about what you want to do.

Mathematica. In my experience it is much more stable and more functional.

I prefer Maple, but that's only because I get it for $20.