Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica or Maple

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    Which of the two softwares (Mathematica and Maple) what do you think is better?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which fruit do you think is better, the apple or the orange?

- Warren

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I prefer apples: oranges are too messy!

(I think chroot's point is that they are two different packages and thus cannot be compared. Having never used mathematica, I cannot comment.)

5. Feb 19, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, each package could probably be said to be better at certain kinds of problems, but we have no idea what kind of problems the OP wants to solve.

- Warren

6. Feb 19, 2008 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pari/GP.

Pineapple.

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    Mathematica.

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7

Only if they're Granny Smith apples!

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

Somone give this man a Nobel Prize, for he speaks the truth, pineapples are the god of all fruits.

10. Feb 20, 2008 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me not get into this fruit-ful discussion (in which I agree with the pineapple :smile: - ah well, you know what I mean) and answer to the original post.

I am a (hobbyist) programmer and I know quite some languages. I try to always use the right tool for the job and the same goes here. I must admit however, that -- though I have little experience with MatLab -- Mathematica is a really really powerful package which can do almost anything imaginable. So though probably Matlab is more efficient at some problems (especially numerical ones) I am inclined to favor Mathematica in this dilemma :smile:

11. Feb 20, 2008 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have access to a free educational copy of Mathematica, so I use it from time to time to see how efficient it is. But for the problems I do (number theory), I've found that Pari/GP is often 20-50% faster, and hand-coded solutions (when appropriate) are often better yet. So I have little use for Mathematica. On the other hand, for integration there's no equal to be found for Mathematica, so it's all about what you want to do.

12. Feb 20, 2008 #11

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Mathematica. In my experience it is much more stable and more functional.

13. Feb 21, 2008 #12
    I prefer Maple, but that's only because I get it for $20.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?