1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica the Simplify[] command

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify to a certain extent, as much as possible (factorized form would be best):

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\frac{1}{2}\left(s+\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}-\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}md}{\sqrt{3}-m}+\frac{\sqrt{3}m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This isn't an actual question but rather a part of a bigger picture. I need this simplified as much as possible before I can even think of manipulating it further.

I've tried quite a bit, but after expanding the last factored expression, it became pretty ugly. This route seems most promising:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(\left(\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\left(s+\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}-\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}-\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(\left(\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+s\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}-\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)-\left(\frac{2\sqrt{3}md+\sqrt{3}ms-m^2s}{m^2-3}\right)^2\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(\left(\frac{md}{m-\sqrt{3}}\right)^2+\left(\frac{m(s+d)}{m+\sqrt{3}}\right)^2-s\left(\frac{2\sqrt{3}d+\sqrt{3}s-ms}{m^2-3}\right)-m^2\left(\frac{2\sqrt{3}d+\sqrt{3}s-ms}{m^2-3}\right)^2\right)[/tex]

I'm unsure of what else to do without making a big mess. And this still isn't simple enough for what I need this for, so if you have the stomach to tackle this, please do so :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Simplifying

attachment.php?attachmentid=22689&stc=1&d=1261729547.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thanks for the response.

I don't quite understand what your final solution is. When it gets to the : and then it has just one entire fraction. That one fraction can't possibly be equal? It only has a second degree for m, while if you look at this part which is located on the last line in the last factor of my OP:

[tex]m^2\left(\frac{2\sqrt{3}d+\sqrt{3}s-ms}{m^2-3}\right)^2[/tex]

it clearly suggests the denominator should be of a 4th degree in m, no?

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4

I hope this answers your question.(=
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22702&stc=1&d=1261818750.jpg

Attached Files:

• sol.jpg
      sol.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  6. Dec 26, 2009 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh wow thanks a lot for that!

It still took me a while to understand what was happening, but it all sunk in :smile: and when I tested it for some values of s,d and m and they turned out equal, I was even more ecstatic!

7. Dec 26, 2009 #6

you are most welcome(=

8. Dec 26, 2009 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Did you simplify this yourself, or did you use a program of some sort?
    Reason being because I'm going to need more simplifying of this type to be done.

9. Dec 26, 2009 #8

I've checked with a program and indeed it is the simplest form.

10. Dec 26, 2009 #9

If you have access to Mathematica the Simplify[] command would come in handy.

Come to think of it there might also be something similar you can use on Wolfram Alpha to simplify expressions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook