Mathematica VectorFieldPlot axes

In summary, the option to add axes to VectorFieldPlot isn't available in the current version of the software. This can be confusing because it appears that the limits are being reordered when entered backwards.
zeebo17
I have done some research and it seems like the option to add axes to VectorFieldPlot isn't available in my 6.0.0 version. (Unless someone knows how to do this?) Because of that, I'm having problems understanding how the axes limits command is working.

For the Plot command, even though it states that it should be entered {x, xmin, xmax} and {y, ymin, ymax}, it seems to automatically switch the xmin and xmax if they are entered backwards. Now, I am having trouble figuring out if VectorFieldPlot does something similar. When entered backwards {x, xmax, xmin} and {y, ymax, ymin} it doesn't seem to produce the expected "backwards" graph. What is even more confusing is that:
{x, xmax, xmin} and {y, ymax, ymin}
{x, xmax, xmin} and {y, ymin, ymax}
{x, xmin, xmax} and {y, ymax, ymin}
all produce the same graph.

Any one know whether or not it automatically plots the lowest limit on the left/bottom? Or how to explain the above behavior?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I could imagine that the software determines automatically the appropriate limits. A possibility could be to integrate the axis into the object you want to plot, as part of the vector field.

Without a concrete example, I can't tell whether you are using asymmetric functions in your VectorFieldPlot or not. To determine whether VectorFieldPlot is reordering the plot ranges can you choose a function that is clearly asymmetric in both x and y and see by inspection whether it is doing this or not? Perhaps {2x,y^3} would be a field which should settle this.

To get axes added to VectorFieldPlot could you do something like this

Code:
Show[Plot[0,{x,1,3},PlotRange->{{1,3},{1,2}}],VectorFieldPlot[{2x,y^3},{x,1,3},{y,1,2}]]

which creates an empty plot with the appropriate range with axes and a vector field plot with the appropriate range without axes and then overlays those with Show.

Unfortunately I cannot test this under version 6 so I cannot verify whether this will work for you or not.

(Only after submitting this answer did I notice the original question was ten years old)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the axes in a VectorFieldPlot?

The axes in a VectorFieldPlot provide a reference for the direction and magnitude of the vector field being plotted. They also help to orient the plot and provide a scale for interpreting the vectors.

2. How can I customize the appearance of the axes in a VectorFieldPlot?

There are several options for customizing the appearance of the axes in a VectorFieldPlot. These include changing the size, color, and style of the axes, as well as adding labels or ticks to the axes.

3. Can the axes in a VectorFieldPlot be hidden?

Yes, the axes in a VectorFieldPlot can be hidden by using the option Axes->False or by using the option Frame->True to display a frame instead of axes.

4. Can the axes in a VectorFieldPlot be scaled differently than the rest of the plot?

Yes, the axes in a VectorFieldPlot can be scaled differently by using the option AxesScaling->Automatic or by specifying custom scaling factors using the option AxesScaling->{xscale,yscale}.

5. How can I add a third vector component to a VectorFieldPlot?

To add a third vector component to a VectorFieldPlot, you can use the option VectorColorFunction to map the magnitude of the third component to a color scale, or you can use the option VectorStyle to represent the third component graphically, such as with the thickness or opacity of the vectors.