Mathematical Definition of Energy

In summary: So I'm going to have to leave it at that for now.In summary, energy is the ability to do work. It is conserved, and can be found in various forms.
azabak
What is the general definition of energy? I already know that it means ability to perform work and that Work = ∫Force d(displacement) = Δ Kinetic Energy = -Δ Potential Energy ( in a conservative field "a closed path integral of the force = 0"), Σ Kinetic-Potential = constant, ∫Kinetic-Potential d(time) = minimum action... so just cut to the chase. None of those concepts define energy in a general mathematical sense. More precisely I'm asking IF there's any definition or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is sort of a bunch of different abstract concepts that all happen to work out to be the same thing. But none of these concepts can really be thought of as the most fundamental or definitive definition of energy. Energy is something we use in physical models--it's not something we measure directly--so any definition is going to seem like a mathematical contrivance or bookkeeping mechanism. The most concrete definition is probably found in relativity. Energy is mass times a unit conversion factor. Energy also can be interpreted as a generator of infinitesimal time displacements.

azabak said:
More precisely I'm asking IF there's any definition or not.
Well, what you stated is basically the definition. It's ability to do work. What probably seems confusing about it is that it's hard to define the point where the body can no longer do work. For example, we define gravitational potential energy to be zero at ground level. But what if I dig a hole and lower the object further. It has negative potential energy now. What's that all about?

And the answer to this is that as far as mechanics goes, there is no absolute zero for energy. You can define whatever state of the system you like as zero energy, and then see how much work needs to be done on the system to get it to other states. You call that work the energy of that new state. This is sufficient because in mechanics, only relative energy is important. And so defining energy as ability to work is entirely sufficient as far as all the math goes.

This also holds true for Quantum Mechanics and Thermodynamics. Though, for later, in a really roundabout way, quite often. Where it all starts getting a little crazy is General Relativity. But I wouldn't worry about any of it for now.

Although I'm asking this I know one definition of energy. If you define work as W=∫F dr, energy will arise "naturally" as the factor that changes in relation of the speed (kinetic) or the position (potential). Defining both kinetic and potential energy from work leads to its conservation, so that: W = ΔK = -ΔU therefore ΔK+ΔU = 0, Ki-Kf+Ui-Uf = 0, Ki+Ui = Kf+Uf = constant. And since none of those factors are time dependent the constant neither increases nor decreases as time passes, showing an "intuitive" proof the the Noether's Theorem that conservation of energy imply symmetry in time translation. The constant is the total energy, the general definition, but since potential energy is by convention negative the constant is K-U, or the Lagrangian. The closest I can get to define this constant is as the time derivative of the action. The problem is that unless I define action from other quantity (as momentum or angular momentum) this definition will be circular.

I can confirm that there is indeed a general mathematical definition of energy. Energy can be defined as the ability to do work, and it is measured in joules (J). This definition is consistent with the concepts you have mentioned, such as the relationship between work and force, and the conservation of energy in a closed system. In a more general sense, energy can also be defined as the capacity of a physical system to do work or produce a change. This definition encompasses all forms of energy, including kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic energy. Furthermore, energy can be mathematically described using various equations, such as the law of conservation of energy and the equations for different types of energy (e.g. kinetic energy = 1/2 mv^2). I hope this clarifies any confusion and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the mathematical definition of energy.

Related to Mathematical Definition of Energy

What is the mathematical definition of energy?

The mathematical definition of energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is represented by the symbol "E" and is measured in joules (J) in the metric system.

How is energy calculated in a system?

The total energy of a system is calculated by adding up the kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (stored energy) of all its components. The formula for calculating energy is E = KE + PE.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Both types of energy are measured in joules (J).

How does the law of conservation of energy apply to the mathematical definition of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This applies to the mathematical definition of energy because the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, even as it changes from one form to another.

What are some common units used to measure energy?

In addition to joules, other common units used to measure energy include calories, kilowatt-hours, and foot-pounds. These units are often used in specific contexts, such as in nutrition or electricity, but can be converted to joules for comparison.