Mastering Mathematical Induction: Solving for the nth Term

In fact, for any power series \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n, you can always change the index so that it starts at n= 1 by replacing n by n+1: \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n= \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n-1}x^{n-1}= \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n-1}x^n. In this case, n-1= 0 when n= 1, n-1= 1 when n= 2, etc. so that the formula in the denominator is the same. So you are correct
jackscholar

Homework Statement

1-1/2+1/4-1/8+...nth term= [(2^n-(-1)^n)]/3(2^(n-1))]

I just can't get the nth term. I realize that the denominator should be 2^(n-1) and that, because the sign constantly changes there needs to be something like -1^n so I came up with the equation -1^n/-2^(n-1) but this doesn't satisfy n=1. Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about ##(-1)^{n+1}##

jackscholar said:

Homework Statement

1-1/2+1/4-1/8+...nth term= [(2^n-(-1)^n)]/3(2^(n-1))]

I just can't get the nth term. I realize that the denominator should be 2^(n-1) and that, because the sign constantly changes there needs to be something like -1^n so I came up with the equation -1^n/-2^(n-1) but this doesn't satisfy n=1. Any help is highly appreciated.
That "3" in the denominator puzzled me also. But look what happens for different n:
n= 1 [2^1- (-1)^1]/[(3)2^{1- 1}]= (2+1)/3= 1
n= 2 [2^2- (-1)^2]/[(3)2^{2- 1}]= (4- 1)/[(3)2]= 3/(3)2= 1/2, etc.
As micromass suggests, is (-1)^n gives the wrong sign, multiply by another -1: (-1)^(n+1)- not taking it to the n-1 power as you appear to be doing. Although, because you have n-1 in the denominator, I would be inclined to divide by 1, again, not taking it to a power, to get (-1)^(n-1)/2^(n-1)= (-1/2)^{n-1}.

Are you required to have the sum starting at n= 1 ([itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1/2)^{n-1}[/itex])? I think the simplest thing to do is start with n= 0. [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1/2)^n[/itex] will give exactly the same result.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proving mathematical statements or formulas by using a base case and an inductive step. It is based on the principle that if the statement is true for a given value, it is also true for the next consecutive value.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

To use mathematical induction, you first prove that the statement is true for the first value, usually denoted as n = 1. This is called the base case. Then, you assume that the statement is true for some value k, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next value, k+1. This is called the inductive step. By repeating this process, you can show that the statement is true for all values of n.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction is a variation of mathematical induction in which instead of assuming the statement is true for just the previous value, you assume it is true for all values up to and including the previous value. Weak induction only assumes the statement is true for the previous value. Strong induction can be used to prove more complex statements, but weak induction is easier to understand and use in simpler cases.

4. What are common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all values without properly proving it for the base case. Another mistake is using weak induction instead of strong induction when the statement requires it. It is also important to make sure that the inductive step is valid and correctly follows from the assumption that the statement is true for the previous value.

5. In what fields is mathematical induction commonly used?

Mathematical induction is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to prove theorems and formulas. It is also used in other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to prove mathematical principles and models. Any area that involves mathematical reasoning and proof can benefit from the use of mathematical induction.