Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas

In summary, the conversation is about the recommendation of a book for someone who wants to pursue higher levels of math, specifically PDEs and tensors. The book was used in a Mathematical physics class and was found to cover many topics in an approachable and easy to understand way, but it does not go into depth on any one topic. It is recommended for someone still in high school, but if they want to learn PDEs, they should consider picking up another book. The book covers tensors well, but not in great detail.
Abtinnn
I study in high school, but I know a fair amount of math (differential, integral, and vector calc., differential equations, linear algebra, etc.) Would you recommend this book if I want to pursue higher levels of math such as PDE's and Tensors and so on? Does this book explain things clearly? Does it go in depth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually took a class called Mathematical physics that required this book, last semester. I liked the book. It covered many topics in a very approachable easy to understand way. It doesn't go into any topic in depth though.

But if you want to learn PDE then this book isn't for you because it doesn't go over them in detail. You should consider picking up another book if you want to learn PDE.

In terms of tensors, the book goes over them really well, but doesn't go into to much detail.

Since you are still in high school then this book is good for you.

Last edited:
Likes Abtinnn
Thanks a lot for the response :D

Likes Robben

1. What is the main focus of "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas?

The main focus of "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas is to introduce the mathematical tools and techniques necessary for understanding and solving problems in the physical sciences. It covers a wide range of topics including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in mathematics?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas is suitable for beginners in mathematics. It starts with the basic concepts and builds upon them gradually, making it accessible for students with little to no prior knowledge in mathematics.

3. Are there any real-world applications of the mathematical methods discussed in this book?

Yes, this book focuses on the mathematical methods that are commonly used in the physical sciences, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. These methods have numerous applications in real-world problems and are essential for understanding and analyzing data in these fields.

4. Does this book cover advanced topics in mathematics?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas covers advanced topics such as vector calculus, partial differential equations, and Fourier analysis. It also includes exercises and problems that involve applying these methods to more complex problems.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook?

This book can be used for both self-study and as a textbook in a classroom setting. It provides clear explanations and examples, making it easy for self-learners to follow. It also includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making it an ideal textbook for a course on mathematical methods in the physical sciences.