1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    I study in high school, but I know a fair amount of math (differential, integral, and vector calc., differential equations, linear algebra, etc.) Would you recommend this book if I want to pursue higher levels of math such as PDE's and Tensors and so on? Does this book explain things clearly? Does it go in depth?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2
    I actually took a class called Mathematical physics that required this book, last semester. I liked the book. It covered many topics in a very approachable easy to understand way. It doesn't go into any topic in depth though.

But if you want to learn PDE then this book isn't for you because it doesn't go over them in detail. You should consider picking up another book if you want to learn PDE.

In terms of tensors, the book goes over them really well, but doesn't go into to much detail.

Since you are still in high school then this book is good for you.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Mar 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks a lot for the response :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted