Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab character matrices

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I can input a matrix into Matlab that contains characters. I then would like to manipulate the matrix using row changing operations. Matlab, however, will not allow me to create a matrix with letters. Is there an equivalent to a matrix for character values that can have operations performed on them?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Maybe I'm using cells incorrectly, but to test I am multiplying a 4x4 matrix / array with the 4x4 identity. It should return the original matrix / array. However, I get an error message that won't allow me to perform the operation.

"??? Undefined function or method 'mtimes' for input arguments of type 'cell'.

This is irritating. :mad: I wanted to use this as a check for my homework but I can't. Is there anyway around this error?

Thanks!

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Are you just trying to do symbolic math with matrices? You can use sym or the shortcut syms to create symbolic variables and then create a matrix using them. E.g. for something like
    [tex]
    \begin{vmatrix}
    a & b \\
    c & d
    \end{vmatrix} = ad - bc
    [/tex]
    you could do:
    Code (Text):

syms a b c d [color=#008000]real[/color];
    det([a b; c d]);

I didn't realize you needed to do matrix arithmetic, so cells won't work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?