Matlab fprintf % usage in output data

In summary, the conversation discusses the usage of the % symbol in MATLAB's fprintf function, specifically in printing and reading data from a text file. It is mentioned that % has a special meaning in fprintf and in order to print the symbol itself, %% must be used. This solution is acknowledged to be helpful.
karna87
Matlab fprintf "%" usage in output data

I want to save data into a textfile, but I will again need MATLAB to read that text file, in which
case, I would like to have my header-text of the data table begin with '%"
so that when I am reading from than file, MATLAB will ignore header.

I am getting error in doing so. Can somebody please help me ?

thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org

If I understand correctly, you are encountering an error when trying to print the % symbol using fprintf. That is because % has a special meaning to fprintf. It is used for formatting numbers. If you want to print the symbol itself, you have to put %% instead of %. Example:

fprintf(fid, '%% this is a comment\n');

Perfect ! this did help me. I Was trying to print "%". and %% is the solution thanks again

What is the purpose of using fprintf in Matlab for output data?

The fprintf function in Matlab is used to format and display data in the command window or to write data to a file. It allows for more control over the formatting and presentation of data compared to the disp function.

How do I use fprintf to display data in the command window?

To use fprintf for displaying data in the command window, you need to first specify the format of the data, followed by the data that you want to display. For example, fprintf('%d', 10) will display the integer value 10 in the command window.

Can I use fprintf to write data to a file?

Yes, you can use the fprintf function to write data to a file. To do so, you need to open the file using the fopen function, specify the format and data that you want to write using fprintf, and then close the file using the fclose function.

What is the difference between fprintf and disp in Matlab?

The main difference between fprintf and disp is that fprintf allows for more control over the formatting of data. With fprintf, you can specify the format, precision, and alignment of data, while disp simply displays the data as is.

Can I use fprintf to display multiple lines of data?

Yes, you can use fprintf to display multiple lines of data by using the escape character '\n' to indicate a new line. For example, fprintf('%d\n%d', 10, 20) will display two lines, with the first line containing the integer value 10 and the second line containing the integer value 20.