Efficiently Import and Organize Topographic Profile Data in Matlab

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to handle missing files in their MATLAB code for reading CSV files. They mention looping through each file and using a naming scheme, but are running into errors with missing files. The suggested solutions are to use a try...catch statement or the dir or ls commands in MATLAB. They also suggest using zero padding for missing values.
rocks rock
Hi. I am trying to read csv files into Matlab. The files are x, y, z values for topographic profiles taken about 4 times a year over several years. I've worked out how to loop through each file and loop through names so that each comes in as a separate matrix. (see below) The problem I'm having is that some profiles are missing for certain years or seasons. So when Matlab comes to one of those files it says "Error File Not Found." I'm wondering if there is a way to skip over files that just don't exist.

Thanks

File naming scheme: prof_#_seasonyear
Ex: prof_3_sp08

Sample of code I'm using:

for i = 2:49
fname=sprintf('prof_%d_sp99.out',i);
eval(['sp99_prof_' num2str(i) '= csvread(fname);'])

fname=sprintf('prof_%d_sp00.out',i);
eval(['sp00_prof_' num2str(i) '= csvread(fname);'])

fname=sprintf('prof_%d_sp01.out',i);
eval(['sp01_prof_' num2str(i) '= csvread(fname);'])

end

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also use the dir or ls commands in MATLAB (once you've set the directory) to get a directory listing (I think both will work regardless of whether it's in a Windows / Linux / Mac environment):
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/dir.html
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/ls.html

You can also use this with a little more code to zero pack in place of missing values (assuming this is desirable). Or just insert zeros whenever you catch errors (as jhae2.718 suggests).

1. What is the purpose of efficiently importing and organizing topographic profile data in Matlab?

The purpose of efficiently importing and organizing topographic profile data in Matlab is to streamline the process of analyzing and visualizing topographic data. By efficiently importing and organizing the data, scientists can save time and effort in the data processing stage and focus more on interpreting and understanding the results.

2. How can I import topographic profile data into Matlab?

There are several ways to import topographic profile data into Matlab. One way is to use the "importdata" function, which allows you to import various types of data (e.g. text, spreadsheet, image) into Matlab. Another option is to use the "readtable" function, which is specifically designed to import data from spreadsheet files. You can also use the "load" function to import data from a saved Matlab file.

3. What is the best way to organize topographic profile data in Matlab?

The best way to organize topographic profile data in Matlab is to use a matrix or array format. This allows you to store all the data in a single variable, making it easier to access and manipulate. You can also use labels or headers for each column or row to keep track of the data and its corresponding variables.

4. How can I efficiently plot and visualize topographic profile data in Matlab?

To efficiently plot and visualize topographic profile data in Matlab, you can use the "plot" function to create a simple line graph. You can also use the "surf" or "mesh" functions to create 3D plots, which are useful for visualizing terrain data. Additionally, you can use the "contour" function to create contour plots, which can help identify patterns and changes in elevation.

5. Are there any other tools or functions in Matlab that can help with analyzing topographic profile data?

Yes, there are several other tools and functions in Matlab that can aid in analyzing topographic profile data. For example, the "interp2" function can be used to interpolate missing data points, while the "gradient" function can calculate the slope or gradient of the terrain. You can also use the "histogram" function to create a histogram of elevation values, which can help identify the distribution of data. Additionally, the "improfile" function can create a profile plot along a specific path on a topographic map.