1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and general solutions

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on this problem that involves drawing a phase portrait but I'm at a stand still.

Find the general solution to the following differential equation:
    [1 -12 -14]
    x'= [1 2 -3]*x
    [1 1 -2]

the eigeinvalues that I found are 1 , +5i, -5i

the general solution that I found is

c1e^e[25] + c2[cos5t+5sin5t] + c2[-5cos5t+sin5t] + c3[2] + c3t[1-5i]
    [-7] [cos5t ] [sin5t ] [2] [1 ]
    [6 ] [cos5t ] [sin5t ] [1] [1 ]

Am I suppose to have imaginary values in my solution?
    I'm supposed to find the solution if x(0)=2i-5j+3k
    I just plug 0 in for all the t's and solve for the constants which is no problem for me. The problem that I'm having is the fact that I have an imaginary value in the solution.

I'm also suppose to find the phase portrait.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, since this problem has only real entries, you should not have any complex numbers in your solution- and I don't see why you should. If your eigenvalues are 1, 5i, and -5i, then your solutions will involve ex, cos(5x), and sin(5x).

I have trouble understanding what you mean by
    c1e^e[25] + c2[cos5t+5sin5t] + c2[-5cos5t+sin5t] + c3[2] + c3t[1-5i]
    [-7] [cos5t ] [sin5t ] [2] [1 ]
    [6 ] [cos5t ] [sin5t ] [1] [1 ]
    Is that the "vector" solution? Is [-7][cos5t][sin5t][2][1] 5 separate functions or is that a product? Each row should be a single function like your first row.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    It's the vector solution. I just realized that this message board gets rid of the extra spaces. 25, -7, 6 is one column matrix. cos5t+5sin5t, cos5t, cos5t is one column matrix. -5cos55t+sin5t, sin5t, sin5t is one column matrix. 2, 2, 1 is one column matrix. 1-5i, 1, 1 is one column matrix. And that's what I thought...about the imaginary values. How should look in the general solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?