Understanding Matrices and Norms: Working Through a Proof

• Thread starter mathboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the professor's problem is that he forgot to include the parentheses for the second summation.
mathboy
I'm trying to understand one step in the following proof to the following problem:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/264/82127528zq9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this will help you explicitly, but there's a little identity that might contribute to your solution

We know that

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 \geq 0 [/tex]

by non-negativity of a square, with equality holding iff the summand is identically 0. Furthermore, we can expand this to

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 = \sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j [/tex]

Thus

[tex]\sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j \geq 0 [/tex]

Also, this can probably be generalized but off the top of my head I'm not too sure how, but

[tex] (x-y)^2 \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x^2+y^2-2xy \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 2xy \leq x^2+y^2 [/tex]

Thanks, but I already knew all that. So far I have

[si [sj(A_ij)y_j]^2]^(1/2) <= [si [sjN y_j]^2]^(1/2) = nN [[sj(y_j)]^2]^(1/2)

but leaves me wondering what to do with [sj(y_j)]^2

Then the only thing left that I can think of using is the identity above that I gave, namely

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 = \sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j[/tex]

Then as long as you can make a non-negativity argument about

[tex] \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j [/tex]

You'll be good to go

Still can't get it. I'm just trying to understand one step in the following proof to the following problem:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/264/82127528zq9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, I'm wondering if there just isn't a typo. It seems like the exponents should all be nested one parentheses earlier, though I might be missing something

It's an online solution by a professor (whom I don't know personally) to Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds". If it is a typo, what is the proper way to finish it off? I've checked that there is no mistake before the inequality sign.

I'm thinking that his n should be mn
I think I've corrected the professor's solution, and I think his M is supposed to be N[mn]^(1/2)

Last edited:
mathboy said:
I'm thinking that his n should be mn
I think I've corrected the professor's solution, and I think his M is supposed to be N[mn]^(1/2)
I think this is correct. He probably made the same mistake I did and treated both summations as if they run up to n, and not that one runs up to n and the other to m.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in mathematics and computer science.

What is the purpose of using matrices in mathematics?

Matrices are used to solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations, and represent data in a compact and organized manner. They are also essential in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What is a norm in the context of matrices?

A norm is a mathematical concept that measures the size of a vector or a matrix. It is a function that assigns a non-negative value to a vector or a matrix, satisfying certain properties such as the triangle inequality and non-negativity.

Why are norms important in understanding matrices?

Norms are important in understanding matrices because they provide a way to measure the magnitude of a matrix and compare it to other matrices. They are also used to define convergence and continuity in mathematical analysis.

What is the process for working through a proof involving matrices and norms?

The process for working through a proof involving matrices and norms typically involves understanding the definitions and properties of matrices and norms, applying appropriate mathematical operations and techniques, and providing logical reasoning and evidence to support the statement being proved.