1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and norms

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to understand one step in the following proof to the following problem:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2
    I'm not sure if this will help you explicitly, but there's a little identity that might contribute to your solution

We know that

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 \geq 0 [/tex]

by non-negativity of a square, with equality holding iff the summand is identically 0. Furthermore, we can expand this to

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 = \sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j [/tex]

[tex]\sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j \geq 0 [/tex]

Also, this can probably be generalized but off the top of my head I'm not too sure how, but

[tex] (x-y)^2 \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x^2+y^2-2xy \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 2xy \leq x^2+y^2 [/tex]
  4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    Thanks, but I already knew all that. So far I have

[si [sj(A_ij)y_j]^2]^(1/2) <= [si [sjN y_j]^2]^(1/2) = nN [[sj(y_j)]^2]^(1/2)

but leaves me wondering what to do with [sj(y_j)]^2
  5. Dec 17, 2007 #4
    Then the only thing left that I can think of using is the identity above that I gave, namely

[tex] \displaystyle\left( \sum_i a_i \right) ^2 = \sum_i a_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j[/tex]

Then as long as you can make a non-negativity argument about

[tex] \sum_{i<j} a_i a_j [/tex]

You'll be good to go
  6. Dec 17, 2007 #5
    Still can't get it. I'm just trying to understand one step in the following proof to the following problem:

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    In all honesty, I'm wondering if there just isn't a typo. It seems like the exponents should all be nested one parentheses earlier, though I might be missing something
  8. Dec 17, 2007 #7
    It's an online solution by a professor (whom I don't know personally) to Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds". If it is a typo, what is the proper way to finish it off? I've checked that there is no mistake before the inequality sign.

I'm thinking that his n should be mn
    I think I've corrected the professor's solution, and I think his M is supposed to be N[mn]^(1/2)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. Dec 17, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think this is correct. He probably made the same mistake I did and treated both summations as if they run up to n, and not that one runs up to n and the other to m.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?