1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices Help

Tags:
  1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1hc9pg.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need help with the second question, I did the first one correctly. My pre board is on Monday so please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

If you look at Q.2 you have not copied it correctly. Matrix multiplication does not commute.

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem asks you to find the matrix product [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. I have no idea what you found! You used the answer to the previous problem, MX, rather than M, and somehow multiplied x only by the "6x" in "6x- 3" rather than both?

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I don't agree with Hallsoflvy.
    ##M = \begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}\ \ \begin{bmatrix}x \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} \ \ =\ \begin{bmatrix} (6x-3) \\ (4x+5)\end{bmatrix} ## as OP said.

##M \neq \begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}## as Hallsoflvy claims.

Therefore in part b, you are asked to find
    ##\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix} M \ \ =\ \begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\ \begin{bmatrix} (6x-3) \\ (4x+5)\end{bmatrix}##
    which is what neither said.
    OP's error was to write ##M\ \begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix} ## instead of ##\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\ M##

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, I misread the first line!

7. Mar 13, 2016 #6
    Oh, now I understand! I always have a problem with reading the question properly. Thank you both!

8. Mar 13, 2016 #7

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Just remember, with matrices order is important.

And congratulations on asking the question clearly with a nice uploaded pic. Some questioners go on for a dozen posts or more before you find out what they actually need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted