What can you say about the numbers a, b, c and d?

• Thread starter Gramsci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations with constants a, b, c, and d where a is non-zero. The suggested approach is to perform row reduction and check for consistency by looking at the second row of the augmented matrix. If the second entry is 0 and the third entry is non-zero, the system is inconsistent.
Gramsci
Suppose a, b, c and d are constants such that a is not zero and the system below is consistent for all possible values of f and g. What can you say about the numbers a, b, c and d? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

ax1+bx2=f
cx1+dx2=g

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to think about it but I can't seem to get any closer to a solution. My basic thoughts is that we must perform some row reduction, but I'm not really sure how we should do it. I would love some help.
/gramsci

Physics news on Phys.org
You should row-reduce the 2nd row using the first row of the augmented matrix. Note that you have to multiply the first row by some multiple before adding it to the second row will yield a 0 for the first entry from the left of the second, which is why it is assumed that a is non-zero.

After you've done that, look at the contents of the 2nd row. Note that the system is inconsistent if the 2nd entry of the 2nd row is 0 and the 3rd entry of the 2nd row is non-zero. Write that out.

Ah, I multiply the first row by -c, which I guess is the right multiple and then add it to the second row which yields:
(-a, d-bc, g-fc) and after I restore the first row and add it to the second row I get the second row to be :
(0, d-c, g-c) and since c is 0 =
(0, d, g)
Then I understand what you meant. But it feels as if I performe some error during my calculations here, I'm guessing that I could've multiplied the first row wrong. If I did do any errors,please give me some leads.

/Thankfully, Gramsci

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a mathematical object that is made up of rows and columns of numbers or symbols. It is used to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, while a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers. In other words, a vector can be thought of as a special type of matrix with only one row or column.

3. How is matrix multiplication performed?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. Each element in the resulting matrix is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements in the rows and columns of the two matrices and then adding them together.

4. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else). Not all matrices have an inverse, but those that do are useful in solving systems of equations and other mathematical problems.

5. How is linear algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear algebra has many practical applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, and optimization problems. It is also used in various fields such as economics, finance, and engineering to model and solve complex systems and problems.