Matrix Exponential to Approximate the Value of Matrizant

In summary, the speaker discusses a numerical method for approximating the fundamental matrix for a system of linear homogeneous differential equations. The method involves replacing the variable matrix with a constant matrix and using the matrix exponential to calculate the approximate value of the matrizant. The speaker mentions forgetting the title of the book where they learned about the method and asks for any additional information or resources on the topic. They also mention using the method for solving linear problems of hydrodynamic stability.
Alexander122745
Hello,

Consider the system of linear homogeneous differential equations of first order

dy/dx = A(x) y

where x denotes the independent variable, A(x) is a square matrix, and y is an unknown vector-function to be calculated.

Many-many years ago, when I was reading a good book on ordinary differential equations, I found a promising numerical method to approximately calculate the fundamental matrix (the matrizant or the Cauchy matrix) Ф(x) for the above linear system. The method is based on the replacement of the variable matrix A(x) by the constant matrix A(c) where c is the reasonably chosen numerical value for the variable x. Then the approximate value of the matrizant Ф(x) can be calculated by means of the formula

Ф(x) = Exp ( (x – a) A(c) )

where a is the initial value of x and Exp is so called matrix exponential that can be calculated by means of the existing very fast and precise computer algorithms.

Regrettably, I forgot the title of the book in which the idea of the method was briefly explained. It’s a petty because the method seems to be promising for stiff systems of differential equations.

My questions:
  • Have you ever heard about the described method to approximate the matrizant?
  • In what book or article was the method originally published?
  • Is there any development or improvement of the original method to make it more accurate?
  • Do you know any implementation of the method in any computing environment like Mathematica, Maple, or MATLAB?
My questions are caused by the necessity to accurately solve linear problems of hydrodynamic stability with a computer.

I would appreciate it if you could provide any additional information about the described numerical method. I mean names, titles, references, formulae, or Web links.

Thank you for your attention to this topic.

Respectfully,

Alexander

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexander122745 said:
Hello,

Consider the system of linear homogeneous differential equations of first order

dy/dx = A(x) y

where x denotes the independent variable, A(x) is a square matrix, and y is an unknown vector-function to be calculated.

Many-many years ago, when I was reading a good book on ordinary differential equations, I found a promising numerical method to approximately calculate the fundamental matrix (the matrizant or the Cauchy matrix) Ф(x) for the above linear system. The method is based on the replacement of the variable matrix A(x) by the constant matrix A(c) where c is the reasonably chosen numerical value for the variable x. Then the approximate value of the matrizant Ф(x) can be calculated by means of the formula

Ф(x) = Exp ( (x – a) A(c) )

where a is the initial value of x and Exp is so called matrix exponential that can be calculated by means of the existing very fast and precise computer algorithms.

Regrettably, I forgot the title of the book in which the idea of the method was briefly explained. It’s a petty because the method seems to be promising for stiff systems of differential equations.

My questions:
  • Have you ever heard about the described method to approximate the matrizant?
  • In what book or article was the method originally published?
  • Is there any development or improvement of the original method to make it more accurate?
  • Do you know any implementation of the method in any computing environment like Mathematica, Maple, or MATLAB?
My questions are caused by the necessity to accurately solve linear problems of hydrodynamic stability with a computer.

I would appreciate it if you could provide any additional information about the described numerical method. I mean names, titles, references, formulae, or Web links.

Thank you for your attention to this topic.

Respectfully,

Alexander

To start: no, I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I have spent some time, years ago, thinking about such issues.

Knowing that intuition can go badly wrong in such situations, I nevertheless assert that---intuitively---the method you outline might be "reasonable" for a slowly-varying matrix function ##A(x)##. However, for better accuracy (again, intuitively) I would try to get a solution on interval ##[a,b]## by partitioning the interval into ##[a,x_1], [x_1, x_2], \ldots, [x_n, b]## and then using the outlined method on each sub-interval separately, stitching together the different pieces using continuity at the "join-points" ##x_i.## For "rapidly varying" ##A(x)## this would likely yield much better results.

As a Maple user, I usually do not bother with such fancy methods; as long as the system is not "too large" I would just go ahead and let Maple solve the system numerically if necessary. (However, just in case it works, I would first ask for a "symbolic" soltution, knowing full well that it is probably a waste of time.)

Likes Alexander122745
Ray Vickson said:
To start: no, I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I have spent some time, years ago, thinking about such issues.

Knowing that intuition can go badly wrong in such situations, I nevertheless assert that---intuitively---the method you outline might be "reasonable" for a slowly-varying matrix function ##A(x)##. However, for better accuracy (again, intuitively) I would try to get a solution on interval ##[a,b]## by partitioning the interval into ##[a,x_1], [x_1, x_2], \ldots, [x_n, b]## and then using the outlined method on each sub-interval separately, stitching together the different pieces using continuity at the "join-points" ##x_i.## For "rapidly varying" ##A(x)## this would likely yield much better results.

As a Maple user, I usually do not bother with such fancy methods; as long as the system is not "too large" I would just go ahead and let Maple solve the system numerically if necessary. (However, just in case it works, I would first ask for a "symbolic" soltution, knowing full well that it is probably a waste of time.)
Dear Ray Vickson,
Thank you very much for reacting to my recent post at Physics Forum.
Alexander122745

1. What is the purpose of using matrix exponential to approximate the value of a matrizant?

The purpose of using matrix exponential is to estimate the value of a matrizant, which is a mathematical object used to represent the evolution of a dynamic system. This approximation is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How does matrix exponential work?

Matrix exponential is calculated by taking the sum of an infinite series of powers of a square matrix. This series can be simplified using the Taylor series expansion, resulting in a more manageable formula for approximating the value of the matrizant.

3. What are the advantages of using matrix exponential to approximate the value of a matrizant?

One advantage is that it allows for a more accurate estimation of the matrizant compared to other methods. It also provides a way to analyze the behavior of dynamic systems and make predictions about their future states. Additionally, matrix exponential can be used to solve differential equations, making it a powerful tool in many scientific applications.

4. What are the limitations of using matrix exponential for approximating the value of a matrizant?

One limitation is that it can only be used for square matrices, which means it is not applicable to all types of dynamic systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the size of the matrix and the number of terms used in the series, so it may not always provide an exact value.

5. How is matrix exponential used in real-world applications?

Matrix exponential has many practical applications, such as in physics for modeling quantum mechanical systems and in engineering for analyzing control systems. It is also used in economics for forecasting economic trends and in computer graphics for creating realistic animations. Additionally, matrix exponential has been applied in fields such as biology, chemistry, and finance to solve complex problems and make predictions.