Matrix multiplication question

In summary, you can multiply two 4X4 matrices by using smaller multiplications in your calculator if you write them as the sum of four matrices with zeros everywhere except by a 2x2 block in the corner.
transgalactic
i am given two matrices 4X4

which i need to multiply by one another

but in my calculator i can multiply matrices only 3X3

how can i use this maximum 3X3 matrices multiplication
in order to calculate the multiplication of two 4X4 matrices
??
(i know how to multiply matrices in theory but i want to shorten the process)

Physics news on Phys.org
What in the world kind of calculator is that? The TI-85- 89 calculators have a "matrix editor" that allows you to input the "m by n" dimensions of a matrix. I've never heard of a calculator that allows 3 by 3 matrices but no others!

my calculator inputs matrices till m<=3 n<=3

i can't multiply 4X4 matrices one by one another
with the help of my calculator.

is there any mathematical methods of solving this without doing the formal way?

using smaller multiplications which could be done in my calculator

If you write each matrix as the sum of four matrices with zeros everywhere except by a 2x2 block in the corner, then you're essentially just multiplying a bunch of 2x2 matrices together along with a lot of distribution, addition and figuring out which corner the product of the matrices has its 2x2 block in. But that sounds like more work than just doing the multiplication... if you practice doing matrix multiplication by hand you get pretty fast at it.

If you are using this for non test purposes. this website is helpful

http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/matrix_multiplication.aspx

and

http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/

its for a test purpose in order to save time
can i make a multiplication of two 4X4 matrices using smaller multiplications

i got a solution
we take the blocks of M1 and M2 (4X4 matrices)
M1 M2

A1 B1 A2 B2
C1 D1 * C2 D2
=
A1*A2+B1*C2 A1*B2+B1*D2
C1*A2+D1*C2 C1*B2+D1*D2

is that correct?

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is an operation performed on two matrices to produce a new matrix. It involves multiplying each element of a row in the first matrix by each element in a column of the second matrix, and then adding the products together to get the corresponding element in the new matrix.

2. How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, multiply each element in a row of the first matrix by each element in a column of the second matrix, and add the products together to get the corresponding element in the new matrix.

3. What is the result of multiplying two matrices?

The result of multiplying two matrices is a new matrix with dimensions equal to the number of rows in the first matrix and the number of columns in the second matrix. The elements in the new matrix are calculated using the rules of matrix multiplication.

4. What are the properties of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is associative, meaning that the order in which matrices are multiplied does not affect the final result. It is also distributive over addition, meaning that multiplying a sum of matrices is equal to the sum of the individual products. However, matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that the order in which matrices are multiplied does affect the final result.

5. How is matrix multiplication used in science?

Matrix multiplication is used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations in geometry, and analyze data in statistical models. It is also an important tool in machine learning and data analysis, as it allows for efficient processing of large datasets.