Why is matrix multiplication necessary for representing linear transformations?

In summary, matrix multiplication is defined in a specific manner for the purpose of solving systems of linear equations and representing linear transformations. It allows for easier calculation of composition of linear maps and can be thought of as following one linear transformation by another. The rules for calculating products of matrices can also be understood by imagining how points on the axes move after each transformation.
Gear300
What would be the proof for matrix multiplication?...or just an explanation as to why its done the way its done.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's done like that by definition, as far as I am aware. I don't really know why it's defined like that though...:rolleyes:

I see...I haven't really studied matrices all too much, so I'm not too sure of what they are (by what I can say, a matrix is a rectangular array of data or an organization of data). I'm just wondering how multiplying two rectangular arrays of data works.

They're defined to multiply in that manner so that they can be used to solve systems of linear equations. The manner of multiplication is also convenient in that it easily represents a linear transformation, which is very useful in studying nonlinear mathematics. A transformation T of two objects u and v is linear if T(s*u + v) = s*T(u) + T(v). Ie., if x is a vector denoted by a column of numbers, a linear transformation of x can always be represented by matrix multiplication from the left (Ax).

Let's think of a 2x2 matrix, which represents a linear transformation of the plane. I like to think of matrices as columns of numbers, not as rows. Then the left column of the matrix represents where the point (1,0) on the horizontal axis goes. The right column represents where the point (0,1) on the vertical axis goes.

Each time you multiply a matrix by another, you are following up one linear transformation by another. You can imagine how the (1,0) point moves after one transformation, and then how the resulting vector moves after the next. The rules for calculating products of matrices might be easier to think about that way.

More abstractly, if you think of matrices as linear transformations R^n->R^m, then matrix multiplication corresponds to composition of linear maps. So A(B(v))=(AB)(v), where AB is the matrix product. This requires and (easy) proof.

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices together to produce a new matrix. It is often used to solve systems of linear equations and to transform data in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. How is matrix multiplication performed?

In order to multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The elements of the new matrix are calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix by the corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix, and then adding the products together.

3. What is the difference between matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication?

Matrix multiplication involves multiplying two matrices together, while scalar multiplication involves multiplying a single scalar value (a number) by each element in a matrix. In matrix multiplication, the order of the matrices matters, whereas in scalar multiplication, the order does not matter.

4. Can any two matrices be multiplied together?

No, for two matrices to be multiplied together, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. If this condition is not met, the matrices cannot be multiplied.

5. What is the result of multiplying a matrix by its inverse?

The result of multiplying a matrix by its inverse is the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. This is because the inverse of a matrix "undoes" the effects of the original matrix, resulting in the identity matrix.