Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix or differential operator?

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I've been reading a couple of different books on quantum mechanics and have come a mathematical difficulty. I understand that the Hamiltonian is an operator but in some books, it represented as a matrix and in others as a differential operator? How can they both be equivalent approaches?

I understand that they have some of the same properties, eg. are non-commutative. But how can both give the same results? I think (although I may be wrong) that I am asking for the relations between a function and a vector.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See this post (or any book on linear algebra) for the relationship between matrices and linear operators between finite-dimensional vector spaces.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the speedy and clear response. Does that suggest that any linear operator A can be written as a matrix and if so is there a general method?

5. May 20, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it does, when the vector spaces are finite-dimensional. The stuff I wrote about there is the method. I decided to edit my post, but you replied while I was typing so I'm posting the edited version here instead:

See the quote below (or any book on linear algebra) for the relationship between matrices and linear operators between finite-dimensional vector spaces.
    Also, consider the special case U=V, with an orthonormal basis [itex]\{u_i\}[/itex]. (Set [itex]v_i=u_i[/itex]).

[tex]\langle u_i,Au_j\rangle=\langle u_i,(Au_j)_k u_k\rangle=(Au_j)_k\langle u_i,u_k\rangle=(Au_j)_k\delta_{ik}=(Au_j)_i=A_{ij}[/tex]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. May 20, 2010 #5
    Using discrete approximations may help seeing what's going on.

Suppose you are interested in some functions [itex]f:[0,1]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex].

You can approximate the interval [itex][0,1][/itex] as a discrete set

[tex]
    \big\{0,\frac{1}{N},\frac{2}{N},\ldots,\frac{N-1}{N}\big\}
    [/tex]

with some large [itex]N[/itex]. Then the functions [itex]f:[0,1]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] can approximated as functions

[tex]
    f:\big\{0,\frac{1}{N},\frac{2}{N},\ldots,\frac{N-1}{N}\big\}\to\mathbb{C}.
    [/tex]

But now these new functions are merely vectors in N-dimensional vector space. Like

[tex]
    (v_1,v_2,\ldots, v_N) \approx \Big(f(0), f\big(\frac{1}{N}\big), f\big(\frac{2}{N}\big),\ldots, f\big(\frac{N-1}{N}\big)\Big)
    [/tex]

Any operator that was form [itex]A:D(A)\to \mathbb{C}^{[0,1]}[/itex] with some domain [itex]D(A)\subset \mathbb{C}^{[0,1]}[/itex], can now be approximated as a [itex]N\times N[/itex]-matrix.

This approach gives some insight into what it means that function spaces are infinite dimensional vector spaces.

7. May 20, 2010 #6
    So roughly speaking are we saying that each value of a function can be thought of as one of infinitely many components of a vector?

8. May 20, 2010 #7
    Yes the argument becomes the index and the value of the function at that argument becomes the component of that index.

9. May 21, 2010 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook