Matrix or differential operator?

In summary: A linear operator can be represented as a matrix if the vector space is finite dimensional. The relationship between matrices and linear operators between finite dimensional vector spaces is covered in a book on linear algebra.
1Kris
Hi,
I've been reading a couple of different books on quantum mechanics and have come a mathematical difficulty. I understand that the Hamiltonian is an operator but in some books, it represented as a matrix and in others as a differential operator? How can they both be equivalent approaches?

I understand that they have some of the same properties, eg. are non-commutative. But how can both give the same results? I think (although I may be wrong) that I am asking for the relations between a function and a vector.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See this post (or any book on linear algebra) for the relationship between matrices and linear operators between finite-dimensional vector spaces.

Thanks for the speedy and clear response. Does that suggest that any linear operator A can be written as a matrix and if so is there a general method?

1Kris said:
Thanks for the speedy and clear response. Does that suggest that any linear operator A can be written as a matrix and if so is there a general method?
Yes it does, when the vector spaces are finite-dimensional. The stuff I wrote about there is the method. I decided to edit my post, but you replied while I was typing so I'm posting the edited version here instead:See the quote below (or any book on linear algebra) for the relationship between matrices and linear operators between finite-dimensional vector spaces.
Fredrik said:
Suppose [itex]A:U\rightarrow V[/itex] is linear, and that [itex]\{u_j\}[/itex] is a basis for U, and [itex]\{v_i\}[/itex] is a basis for V. Consider the equation y=Ax, and expand in basis vectors.

[tex]y=y_i v_i[/tex]

[tex]Ax=A(x_j u_j)=x_j Au_j= x_j (Au_j)_i v_i[/tex]

I'm using the Einstein summation convention: Since we're always supposed to do a sum over the indices that appear exactly twice, we can remember that without writing any summation sigmas (and since the operator is linear, it wouldn't matter if we put the summation sigma to the left or right of the operator). Now define [itex]A_{ij}=(Au_j)_i[/itex]. The above implies that

[tex]y_i=x_j(Au_j)_i=A_{ij}x_j[/tex]

Note that this can be interpreted as a matrix equation in component form. [itex]y_i[/itex] is the ith component of y in the basis [itex]\{v_i\}[/itex]. [itex]x_j[/itex] is the jth component of x in the basis [itex]\{u_j\}[/itex]. [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] is row i, column j, of the matrix of A in the pair of bases [itex]\{u_j\}[/itex], [itex]\{v_i\}[/itex].
Also, consider the special case U=V, with an orthonormal basis [itex]\{u_i\}[/itex]. (Set [itex]v_i=u_i[/itex]).

[tex]\langle u_i,Au_j\rangle=\langle u_i,(Au_j)_k u_k\rangle=(Au_j)_k\langle u_i,u_k\rangle=(Au_j)_k\delta_{ik}=(Au_j)_i=A_{ij}[/tex]

Last edited:
1Kris said:
I think (although I may be wrong) that I am asking for the relations between a function and a vector.

Using discrete approximations may help seeing what's going on.

Suppose you are interested in some functions [itex]f:[0,1]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex].

You can approximate the interval [itex][0,1][/itex] as a discrete set

[tex]
\big\{0,\frac{1}{N},\frac{2}{N},\ldots,\frac{N-1}{N}\big\}
[/tex]

with some large [itex]N[/itex]. Then the functions [itex]f:[0,1]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] can approximated as functions

[tex]
f:\big\{0,\frac{1}{N},\frac{2}{N},\ldots,\frac{N-1}{N}\big\}\to\mathbb{C}.
[/tex]

But now these new functions are merely vectors in N-dimensional vector space. Like

[tex]
(v_1,v_2,\ldots, v_N) \approx \Big(f(0), f\big(\frac{1}{N}\big), f\big(\frac{2}{N}\big),\ldots, f\big(\frac{N-1}{N}\big)\Big)
[/tex]

Any operator that was form [itex]A:D(A)\to \mathbb{C}^{[0,1]}[/itex] with some domain [itex]D(A)\subset \mathbb{C}^{[0,1]}[/itex], can now be approximated as a [itex]N\times N[/itex]-matrix.

This approach gives some insight into what it means that function spaces are infinite dimensional vector spaces.

So roughly speaking are we saying that each value of a function can be thought of as one of infinitely many components of a vector?

1Kris said:
So roughly speaking are we saying that each value of a function can be thought of as one of infinitely many components of a vector?

Yes the argument becomes the index and the value of the function at that argument becomes the component of that index.

1. What is a matrix or differential operator?

A matrix or differential operator is a mathematical operation that acts on a matrix or function to produce another matrix or function. It is commonly used in linear algebra and calculus to solve systems of equations or describe rates of change.

2. How is a matrix or differential operator represented?

A matrix operator is typically represented by a square matrix, while a differential operator is represented by a mathematical expression involving derivatives. For example, the differential operator d/dx represents the derivative with respect to x.

3. What are some common examples of matrix or differential operators?

Some common examples of matrix operators include the identity matrix, transpose matrix, and inverse matrix. Differential operators include the gradient, divergence, and curl operators.

4. What is the difference between a matrix and differential operator?

A matrix operator acts on a matrix, transforming it into another matrix. A differential operator acts on a function, producing another function. Additionally, matrix operators are used in linear algebra while differential operators are used in calculus.

5. How are matrix and differential operators used in science?

Matrix and differential operators are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are essential for solving mathematical models and describing physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.