1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Transpose

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    Hi

Could somebody please tell me what the use is for the transpose of a matrix, and maybe give an example if possible.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If A is a linear transformation from vector space U to vector space V, then AT is defined as the linear transformation from V to U such that < Au, v>U= < u, ATv>V where u is any vector in U, v is any vector in V and < , >U is an inner product in U and < , > is an inner product in V.

Given a basis for U and a basis for V, of course A would be represented by a matrix and AT would be represented by the "transpose" matrix: swapping rows and columns. Notice that if U is n dimensional and V is m dimensional, the matrix representing A would have n columns and m rows while AT would have m columns and n rows.

Here's an application: Suppose A is not "onto" V- that is the image is a proper subspace of V. Then we cannot, in general, solve the equation Ax= v. Such an x exists only if v happens to be in the image of A (strictly speaking the image A(U)). If v is not, what we can do is find the u in U such that Au is "closest" to v. What do we mean by "closest"? Well, geometrically, the point on A(U) (visualize it as a plane in 3 dimensions) closest to v is the one at the base of a perpendicular from v to A(U).

That is, suppose Au is the point in A(U) closest to v. The v- Au is the vector from Au to v and we want that perpendicular to A(U). That means that if w is any vector in U, Aw is in A(U) and so <Aw, v- Au>V= 0. Now, using the definition of inner product, <w, AT(v- Au)>U= 0 and since w can be any vector in U we must have AT(v- Au)U= ATv- ATAu= 0 or ATAu= ATv so u= (ATA)-1ATv. It is not necessarily true that ATA has an inverse (for example A= 0) but it may have even when A does not and if A does have an inverse, then (ATA)-1A= A-1. (ATA)-1A is referred to as a "generalized inverse" of A.

Here's a specific application of that: Suppose we want to find a line, y= ax+ b that passes through the points (x1,y1), (x2,y2[/sup]), ..., (xn,yn). Of course, a line is determined by two points so in general you can't find a single line through n points. We can, however represent this as a matrix equation:
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} x_1 & 1 \\ x2 & 2\\ ... & ... \\ x_n & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} a \\ b \end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} y-1 \\ y_2 \\ ... \\ y_n \end{array}\right][/tex]

Of course that "2 by n" matrix has no inverse but AT is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}x_1 & x_2 & ... & x_n \\ 1 & 1 & ... & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
    AT A is the 2 by 2 matrix
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum_{i= 1}^n x_i & n \end{array}\right][/tex]

The equation ATAu= Av would be
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum_{i= 1}^n x_i & n \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc} x_1 & 1 \\ x2 & 2\\ ... & ... \\ x_n & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} y_1 \\ y_2 \\ ... \\ y_n\end{array}\right][/tex]

You might recognize that as giving the formula for the "least squares" line, the whose total distance to the points is a minimum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?