Matter + Antimatter Bound State Mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a stable bound state containing 15 quarks, with the main focus being on the interaction between a matter helium-3 isotope and an antimatter antideuteron. The question asks for the mathematics that would explain this interaction, with the assumption that there is no annihilation of the quarks. The response states that the annihilation of the quarks is mathematically inevitable, but the prediction that the proton contains both matter and antimatter quarks is correct. The conversation then delves into the definition of a scientific theory and the role of mathematics in forming theories. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of quantum dynamics and the potential for further exploration in this field.
Rade2
Well, it has been ~ four years ago now I request help with this question in another thread, long dead, so I thought I would bring it to forum again in updated form:

So, my question is:

Does anyone know the mathematics that would explain the quantum dynamics of how a matter helium-3 isotope with neutron picture [PNP] and 9-quark bag picture [[uud-ddu-uud] could form a "stable bound state" (WITH NO ANNIHILATION--that is, all 15 quarks remain in quantum superposition) with antimatter antideuteron with pictures, where I use ^=antimatter, [N^P^] and 6-quark bag [d^d^u^-u^u^d^] ?

So, at quark level this interaction:

[uud-ddu-uud] + [d^d^u^-u^u^d^]

My prediction is that quantum mathematics solution will yield what is known as the proton, with up & down valance quarks, and up & down matter and antimatter quarks coexisting within the proton sea. So, I look for my hypothesis to be mathematically falsified. Perhaps good homework project for advanced quantum theory class if any professors here.

Please, do not reply that the matter and antimatter quarks will annihilate--that is the point of the problem--we assume there is no annihilation and work out the mathematics under this first assumption to see mathematical solution. Perhaps there is no quantum mechanics solution ?, that itself would I think be of interest. Perhaps I just ask goofy question--let me know that also.

Any comments appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The annihilation of the quarks is mathematically inevitable. In other words, there is no stable bound state containing those 15 quarks. That said, your prediction:

"My prediction is that quantum mathematics solution will yield what is known as the proton, with up & down valance quarks, and up & down matter and antimatter quarks coexisting within the proton sea."

Is basically correct, it's just that the 'proton sea' (the interior of the proton) actually consists of an enormous number of quarks and antiquarks --- when we say that a proton contains three quarks, we mean that (# of quarks) - (# of anti-quarks) = 3 at all times.

Thanks Isabelle,

Your reply raises a few questions:

So, would it perhaps be more accurate to say...as predicted by current mathematical formalism of quantum theory, there is no stable bound state containing those 15 quarks...? In others words, perhaps some other mathematical theory could--we just have no idea what it might be ?

Do you see any way to modify the current equations of quantum theory--perhaps change a (+) sign to a (-) somewhere, that would allow for a stable bound state of those 15 quarks ?

I'm afraid that isn't how science works. You start with a theory - i.e. a mathematical model for how things behave - and see what the model predicts. If you can't do the calculation, you don't have a prediction.

Excuse me--but "Science does not start with a Theory". Science ends with a Theory.

A Theory is defined as "a well substantiated explanation of some aspects of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses" [National Academy of Sciences, 1998, Teaching about evolution and the nature of science, Washigton, DC, National Academy Press]

First come the facts, laws, inferences, hypothesis, informed by mathematics--then is formed the theory.

So, if you not able to derive a mathematical formalism to the OP hypothesis, fine, no problem.

Since this forum allow cute comments to end posts, such as 2 + 2...here is mine:

1. What is a matter + antimatter bound state?

A matter + antimatter bound state, also known as a baryonium, is a hypothetical particle composed of both matter and antimatter particles. It is thought to have equal amounts of both types of particles, resulting in a neutral charge.

2. How is antimatter different from regular matter?

Antimatter is essentially the opposite of regular matter. It has the same mass but opposite charge, meaning that when a matter particle and an antimatter particle collide, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

3. How are matter + antimatter bound states described in mathematics?

Matter + antimatter bound states are described using quantum mechanics, specifically through equations that involve the wave function and probabilities of the particles' interactions. These equations also take into account the properties of both matter and antimatter particles.

4. What are the potential applications of studying matter + antimatter bound states?

Research on matter + antimatter bound states has potential applications in understanding the origins of the universe, as well as in the development of new energy sources and technologies. It can also provide insight into the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Is it possible for matter + antimatter bound states to exist in our universe?

While there is currently no definitive evidence for the existence of matter + antimatter bound states, they are predicted by certain theories and have been observed in experiments at high-energy particle colliders. Further research and technology advancements may eventually lead to their confirmation or refutation.