Maurer-Cartan forms in physics

In summary, Maurer-Cartan forms are Lie-algebra valued one-forms which send vectors at an arbitrary point g on the Lie-group to the identity e (the Lie algebra). These forms are used in physics to construct metrics for spaces with symmetries described by the Lie-group in question, and parallelism is a manifestation of this.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the use of Maurer-Cartan one-forms in physics. As far as I understand it's a Lie-algebra valued one-form which sends vectors at an arbitrary point g on the Lie-group to the identity e (the Lie algebra). But my question is: what is the use of these things in physics? I have the feeling that somehow they let you construct metrics for spaces with symmetries described by the Lie-group in question, but can someone elaborate on this or give some references where people explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
More fundamental than the invariant metric is the parallelism of the group manifold.

Could you be a bit more specific? :)

Call the Maurer-Cartan form [itex]\omega[/itex]. Take a given vector [itex]\xi[/itex] in the Lie algebra of the group. At each point g of the group there is a unique tangent vector [itex]\xi_p[/itex] with the property that [itex]\omega(\xi_p)=\xi.[/itex]. This way you create vector fields on the group - one vector field for each element of the Lie algebra. This defines global parallelism. You can compare tangent vectors at a distance by requiring that [itex]\omega[/itex] has the same value on both vectors. It defines globally flat affine connection on the group manifold - it has vanishing curvature, but non-vanishing torsion.

Ok, that's clear. And how does this manifest itself in physics? "Given a Lie algebra, one can construct the corresponding space with that isometry" or something?

In physics we are usually dealing with homogeneous spaces G/H. Their geometry is more complicated than that of the group itself, though geometry of G plays a role there too. The first nice example to look at is the two-sphere, the homogeneous space SO(3)/SO(2). It has an invariant metric, but it is not parallelizable.
For a use of Maurer-Cartan forms within the framework of homogeneous space you may like to check http://books.google.fr/books?id=zGp...&q="cartan-maurer" homogeneous space&f=false".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link! I will definitely check it, and if I have more questions I'll come back! :)

1. What are Maurer-Cartan forms in physics?

Maurer-Cartan forms are mathematical objects used to describe geometric properties of physical systems. They were originally developed in the field of differential geometry, but have found many applications in physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories, gravity, and topological field theories.

2. How are Maurer-Cartan forms used in physics?

Maurer-Cartan forms are used to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. They provide a way to mathematically represent the underlying structure of a physical theory, and can be used to derive equations of motion, study conservation laws, and understand the geometric properties of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of Maurer-Cartan forms in physics?

Maurer-Cartan forms are significant because they allow us to understand the geometric properties of physical systems in a precise and mathematical way. They provide a powerful tool for describing the symmetries and transformations of physical theories, and have been used to make important breakthroughs in our understanding of fundamental forces and particles.

4. Are Maurer-Cartan forms relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Maurer-Cartan forms continue to be an important tool in modern physics. They have been used in the development of theories such as string theory, quantum field theory, and general relativity. They also play a key role in the study of exotic phenomena such as topological insulators and quantum Hall states.

5. How can I learn more about Maurer-Cartan forms in physics?

There are many resources available for learning about Maurer-Cartan forms in physics. Some recommended texts include "Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity" by John Baez and "The Geometry of Physics" by Theodore Frankel. Additionally, there are many online lectures and tutorials that provide a thorough introduction to the topic.