Max and Min of a function of four variables

In summary, the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x,y,z,t)=x+y+z+t subject to the constraint x^2+y^2+z^2+t^2=400 are 40 and -40, occurring at the points (10,10,10,10) and (-10,-10,-10,-10) respectively. This can be found by using Lagrange multipliers and substituting the resulting values into the original function.
Artie

Homework Statement

Find the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x,y,z,t)=x+y+z+t subject to the constraint x^2+y^2+z^2+t^2=400.

Homework Equations

I think the Lagrange multiplers can be used ∇f=λ∇g

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found ∇f=<1,1,1,1> and ∇g=<2x,2y,2z,2t>
and when i set each component equal to each other I get x=y=z=t. I don't know where to go from here, or if this was even the right path to take in the first place

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I forgot that there was a designated spot for homework questions. But yes I've looked all over the internet for how to do this problem. So what is the next step?
I know how to use Lagrange multipliers for just two variables, f(x,y), but I don't understand how to use it for four.

The next step is to construct the Lagrange equation.

The method is supposed to be useful for any number of independent variables.
http://www.karlscalculus.org/pdf/lagrange.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so, for each component:
1=λ2x
1=λ2y
1=λ2z
1=λ2t

That's 4 equations and five unknowns.
You are missing one.

are you talking about lambda?
if so, i don't know an equation for that which doesn't include atleast one other variable

Artie said:
are you talking about lambda?
if so, i don't know an equation for that which doesn't include atleast one other variable

You can solve for the 4 variables x,y,z,t in terms of λ. So, if you know λ you are done. You still need to satisfy the constraint equation. Try substituting your expressions for x,y,z,t in the constraint to see what you get.

That is more-or-less the standard solution method for Lagrange multiplier problems, whether you have 2 variables or 2000 variables.

RGV

Artie said:
I know how to use Lagrange multipliers for just two variables
... in that method, you'd end up using three relations wouldn't you? Did you go look at either of the links I gave you? The second explicitly deals with the case of more than two variables.

Okay I think I got it!
Since all of the components are equal to 1, you can set them equal to each other. And you end up with x=y=z=t. So you plug that into the constraint function g(x,y,z,t)=400, substituting x for all the other values. And you get (x^2)+(x^2)+(x^2)+(x^2)=400. And from there you get x=+/-10. Which means that y,z, and t also equal +/-10. So you plug these values back into the function f(x,y,z,t) and you get a max value of 40 occurring at the point (10,10,10,10) and a min value of -40 occurring at the point (-10,-10,-10,-10)
Right?

Okay I think I got it!
Since all of the components are equal to 1, you can set them equal to each other. And you end up with x=y=z=t. So you plug that into the constraint function g(x,y,z,t)=400, substituting x for all the other values. And you get (x^2)+(x^2)+(x^2)+(x^2)=400. And from there you get x=+/-10. Which means that y,z, and t also equal +/-10. So you plug these values back into the function f(x,y,z,t) and you get a max value of 40 occurring at the point (10,10,10,10) and a min value of -40 occurring at the point (-10,-10,-10,-10)
Right?

Okay I think I got it!
Right?

Related to Max and Min of a function of four variables

1. What is the definition of "Max and Min of a function of four variables"?

The max and min of a function of four variables refers to the largest and smallest values that the function can take on when all four variables are considered.

2. How do you find the max and min of a function of four variables?

To find the max and min of a function of four variables, you must take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and set them equal to 0. Then, solve the resulting system of equations to find the critical points. Finally, plug the critical points back into the original function to determine the max and min values.

3. What is the significance of the max and min of a function of four variables?

The max and min of a function of four variables can tell you important information about the behavior of the function. For example, the max value may represent the highest point on a graph, while the min value may represent the lowest point. Additionally, the max and min can help identify critical points, which are important in optimization problems.

4. Can a function of four variables have multiple max or min values?

Yes, a function of four variables can have multiple max or min values. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points or when the function is not continuous. It is important to carefully analyze the graph and behavior of the function to determine all possible max and min values.

5. How can finding the max and min of a function of four variables be useful?

Finding the max and min of a function of four variables can be useful in a variety of applications, such as optimization problems in engineering, economics, and science. It can also help in understanding the behavior and patterns of a function, and can be used to make predictions and decisions based on the data.