Max Inclination for Segway: Calculating Force Push and Force Down

• Thread starter MuddeDK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the conversation involves a software engineering student who has built a lego segway with their group and is now trying to calculate the maximum angle of inclination from which the robot can restore its 90º position. They are looking for help with calculating the forces involved, specifically Fpush and Fdown, and are willing to offer a $10 reward for a solution.
MuddeDK
Hello physicists!

I studying software engineering and for this semester, my group and I have build a lego segway. It runs perfect.

Here is the question:
We have set our balance task to execute each 4ms, but this is not based on any calculations.

What we would like to calcuate is the max inclination from which the robot is going to be able to restore the 90º position. And thereby we can calculate how often our balance tast need to be executed in a worst case senario.

I havnt done physics for quite a while, but I have an idea how to calculate it.
segway_big_thumb.jpg

θ = Max angle of inclination
Fpush = Force that the segway run with on fullspeed.
Fdown = Force that the segway tilting with.

θ = Fpush > Fdown
So... The maximum angle is where Fpush is slightly bigger than Fdown.

But how do I calculate Fpush and Fdown?

Fdown should be calculated based on its inertia and how fast the robot is driving, given that is starts in a 90º position and it is not trying to balance.

Fpush, i got no clue.

I would kindly donate 10dollars to whoever can help me solve this problem
(I know 10dollars is not much, but is is better than nothing :) )

Thanks in advance, and I hope my english is understandable!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody, how can give me a hint?

Related to Max Inclination for Segway: Calculating Force Push and Force Down

1. What is the maximum incline that a Segway can handle?

The maximum incline that a Segway can handle is approximately 10-15 degrees. This may vary slightly depending on the specific model and weight of the rider.

2. How is the force push and force down calculated for a Segway on an incline?

The force push and force down for a Segway on an incline is calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the rider, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors can affect the maximum incline for a Segway?

The maximum incline for a Segway can be affected by factors such as the weight of the rider, the condition of the Segway's batteries, and the surface of the incline (e.g. smooth or rough).

4. Can the maximum incline for a Segway be increased?

The maximum incline for a Segway cannot be increased beyond its designed capabilities. Attempting to do so may result in damage to the Segway or injury to the rider.

5. How can I determine the incline of a surface before riding a Segway on it?

There are various tools and methods that can be used to measure the incline of a surface, such as an inclinometer or a smartphone app. It is important to always check the incline and make sure it is within the maximum limit for the Segway before riding on it.