Max Value of Coefficient of Restitution for 3 Sphere Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of three spheres of mass 1kg, 2kg, and 3kg with velocities 5i, i, and 3i respectively. The smaller masses collide first and using the law of conservation of momentum, we can solve for their initial velocities. To find the maximum value for the coefficient of restitution, we consider the elastic collision between the smaller masses and use the equation e = (relative velocity of separation)/(relative velocity of approach). The maximum value for e is 0.6, meaning that after the collision, the smaller masses will move away from each other with 60% of their initial relative velocity. This also means that there will be no more collisions between the smaller masses.
markosheehan
three spheres of mass 1kg,2kg and 3kg move in the same line with velocities 5i,i and 3i respectively. the smaller masses are the first to collide.if only one collision takes place find the maximum value for the coefficient of restitution between the smaller masses.

what I've got so far: 5(1)+1(2)=1(x)=2(y) using the law of conservation of momentum. 7=x+2y

using law if restitution -e=x-y/5-1 -4e=x=y

i also know y>x as there no more collisions. y>3 also if there are no more collisions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Firstly, great job using the law of conservation of momentum to solve for the initial velocities of the masses. This is a crucial step in understanding the motion of the system.

To find the maximum value for the coefficient of restitution, we need to consider the elastic collision between the smaller masses. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution (e) is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In this case, the relative velocity of approach is 5i (since the smaller masses are moving towards each other) and the relative velocity of separation is 3i (since the smaller masses are moving away from each other after the collision).

So, we can write the equation for the coefficient of restitution as:

e = (relative velocity of separation)/(relative velocity of approach)

e = (3i)/(5i)

e = 0.6

Therefore, the maximum value for the coefficient of restitution between the smaller masses is 0.6. This means that after the collision, the smaller masses will move away from each other with 60% of their initial relative velocity.

It is important to note that this is the maximum value for the coefficient of restitution because any value higher than 0.6 would result in the smaller masses moving away from each other with a relative velocity greater than 3i, which would lead to another collision. This is not possible since we have already established that there will be no more collisions after the initial one.

I hope this helps in understanding the concept of coefficient of restitution and its application in this scenario. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

Related to Max Value of Coefficient of Restitution for 3 Sphere Collision

1. What is the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision?

The coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision is a measure of the elasticity of the collision between three spheres. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision calculated?

The coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision can be calculated using the formula e = (Vf - Vi) / (Ui - Uf), where e is the coefficient of restitution, Vf and Vi are the final and initial velocities, and Uf and Ui are the final and initial velocities of the center of mass of the system.

3. What is the maximum value of the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision?

The maximum value of the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision is 1. This occurs when the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision?

The coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision is affected by the material properties of the spheres, the angle of collision, and the speed of the spheres. Additionally, the shape and size of the spheres can also impact the coefficient of restitution.

5. Why is the coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision important?

The coefficient of restitution for 3 sphere collision is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects during collisions. It can also be used in various fields such as engineering and sports to optimize designs and improve performance, as well as in physics to study the conservation of energy and momentum.