Max value of x+y (solving a linear system)?

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum value of x+y given that a line passes through the point (3,4). However, after setting up a system of equations, it is determined that there is no maximum value as x or y could go to infinity. The solution to this problem is not clear and it is recommended to double check the question.
holezch

Homework Statement

A line passes through (3,4). What is the maximum value of x+y?

Homework Equations

y = mx + b

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up a system of equations, m3+b =4; b = Y; mX + b = 0. Then I plugged my values for X and Y into m3+b = 4..
The weird thing is though... there is no maximum value of x+y?? It's just a line, x or y could go out further and further to infinity
How should I solve this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, the only solution that makes sense here is "infinity". Are you sure you have the question right?

Related to Max value of x+y (solving a linear system)?

1. What is the meaning of the term "max value" in a linear system?

The term "max value" refers to the highest possible numerical result that can be obtained by solving a linear system of equations. It represents the optimal solution to the given system.

2. How do I determine the max value of x+y in a linear system?

To determine the max value of x+y in a linear system, you must first solve the system of equations to obtain the values of x and y. Once you have these values, simply add them together to find the max value of x+y.

3. Can the max value of x+y be negative in a linear system?

Yes, the max value of x+y can be negative in a linear system. This occurs when the values of x and y that solve the system are both negative.

4. What if there is no solution to a linear system, is there still a max value of x+y?

No, if there is no solution to a linear system, there is no max value of x+y. This is because the system cannot be solved and therefore, there is no optimal solution to determine the max value of x+y.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the max value of x+y in a linear system?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the max value of x+y in a linear system. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most efficient method may vary depending on the specific system of equations.