Maximizing Pool Heating: Comparing Flow Rates for Efficient Heat Transfer

Lower flow rate results in longer heat transfer time and more loss to the atmosphere.In summary, when considering the water solar heating system for a 16,000 gallon pool with a current temperature of 54 degrees, a flow rate of 10 gallons per minute at 65 degrees would heat the water to 65 degrees faster compared to a slow flow rate of 2 gallons per minute at 80 degrees. This is due to the higher flow rate resulting in more heat transfer and less loss to the atmosphere. The solar panels are located about 24 feet from the pool filter and the piping is made of drain pipe.
HullyBear
I recently installed a water solar heating system for my pool. The pool is 16,000 gallons and the current temperature is 54 degrees. I can get water through the system at 65 degrees at 10 gallons per minute, or slow it down and produce 2 gallons per minute at 80 degrees. Assuming no evaporation and an air temp of 65 degress, which flow will heat the water to 65 degrees faster?

Science news on Phys.org
HullyBear said:
I recently installed a water solar heating system for my pool. The pool is 16,000 gallons and the current temperature is 54 degrees. I can get water through the system at 65 degrees at 10 gallons per minute, or slow it down and produce 2 gallons per minute at 80 degrees. Assuming no evaporation and an air temp of 65 degress, which flow will heat the water to 65 degrees faster?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a picture of your installation? How far is the solar heater from the pool? What kind of insulation do you have on the piping?

It's about 24 feet from the filter to the solar panels. The piping is drain pipe.

Attachments

• Solar pool.jpg
    Solar pool.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 589
Higher flow rate results in more heat transfer/less loss to the atmosphere.

Likes berkeman

Related to Maximizing Pool Heating: Comparing Flow Rates for Efficient Heat Transfer

1. What is the purpose of maximizing pool heating?

The purpose of maximizing pool heating is to efficiently and effectively heat a pool to a desired temperature. This can be important for both comfort and safety reasons, as well as to save on energy costs.

2. How does flow rate affect heat transfer in a pool heating system?

The flow rate of water through a pool heating system directly affects the rate at which heat is transferred from the heating source to the water. A higher flow rate can result in more efficient heat transfer, while a lower flow rate can lead to slower heating and potentially uneven temperature distribution in the pool.

3. What are the most common flow rates used for pool heating?

The most common flow rates used for pool heating are between 25-50 gallons per minute (gpm). This range provides a good balance between efficient heat transfer and manageable energy costs.

4. How can I determine the best flow rate for my pool heating system?

The best flow rate for your pool heating system will depend on various factors such as the size of your pool, the type of heating system, and the desired temperature. It is recommended to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for your specific system to determine the optimal flow rate.

5. Are there any other factors besides flow rate that can affect pool heating efficiency?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect pool heating efficiency such as the type of heating source (e.g. gas, electric, solar), the insulation of the pool, and the ambient temperature. It is important to consider all of these factors when trying to maximize pool heating efficiency.