Maximum area from fixed length fence

In summary: Homework Statement In summary, according to the book, b should be ##~\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{A/3}##.
Karol

Homework Statement

6.JPG

Homework Equations

First derivative=maxima/minima/vertical tangent/rising/falling

The Attempt at a Solution

a are the sides of the base and b is the height
$$A=4ab+a^2,~~V=a^2b=a^2\frac{A-a^2}{4a}=...=\frac{1}{4}a(A-a^2)$$
$$V'=\frac{1}{4}(A-a^2-2a^2)=\frac{1}{4}(A-3a^2)$$
$$V'=0~\rightarrow~a=\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}},~b=\frac{\sqrt{3A}}{4}$$
According to the book b should be ##~\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{A/3}##

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214615

Homework Equations

Your value for ##a## is correct. You need to show your work how you got ##b## for us to find your error.

Also, what does this problem have to do with the title of the thread?

Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214615

Homework Equations

It looks like your ##A##-equation is incorrect: you make the bin by cutting out four corner squares of sides ##b##, so those (wasted) squares are also part of the total material area ##A##. (The fact that the problem talks about wasted material suggests that you start with a square of area ##A## and then discard parts of it. Your modeled scenario would have no waste, because you would fabricate the material already in the shape of a square with missing corners.)

Anyway, I get a different solution from yours, because my area-equation is different from yours.

Why do you call it a fence?

Last edited:
For what its worth: a much simpler approach is to wield ##GM \leq AM##.

i.e. if you want to maximize:

##x_1 x_2 ... x_n##

subject to ##\gamma_1 x_1 + \gamma_2 x_2 + ... + \gamma_n x_n = c##.

where each ##x_i \gt 0##, ##\gamma_j \gt 0## and ##c\gt 0## (here the constant ##c## is the 'given amount of material'), application of ##GM \leq AM## to your problem would tell you that, ##n= 3##, and

##x_1 = x_2##
(i.e. ##x_1## and ##x_2## are your ##a##)

and

##b = x_3 = \frac{1}{2} x_1##.

In general knowing a useful inequality can save you a lot of work and relations between arithmetic means and geometric means come up a lot. And wielding inequalities comes up quite a bit in calc / analysis.

The name is, by mistake, from an other problem, sorry.
6-1.JPG

$$A=a^2+4(b^2+ab)=(a+b)^2+2ab,~~V=a^2b$$
I can't extract a2 or b alone from A

Attachments

• 6-1.JPG
    6-1.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 588
Karol said:
The name is, by mistake, from an other problem, sorry.
View attachment 214623
$$A=a^2+4(b^2+ab)=(a+b)^2+2ab,~~V=a^2b$$
I can't extract a2 or b alone from A
The problem is quite easy if you use the Lagrange multiplier method. That saves you from having to solve a quadratic equation to get ##a## in terms of ##A## and ##b##, or ##b## in terms of ##A## and ##a##.

I don't see why you would interpret that the box was cut from a square. The OP's solution is correct right up to his last step. He made an error getting ##b## after he had ##a##. All that is needed is to correct that algebra, which he hasn't shown us. The book's answer is correct.

Likes ehild
The problem says "neglect waste in construction". @LCKurtz is right. The OP's solution is correct except the last step.

$$A=4ab+a^2~\rightarrow~b=\frac{A-a^2}{4a}$$
$$a=\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}~\rightarrow~b=\frac{A-\frac{A}{3}}{4\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}$$
$$=\frac{2A}{12\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{A}{6\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{\sqrt{3A}}{6}$$

ehild said:
The problem says "neglect waste in construction". @LCKurtz is right. The OP's solution is correct except the last step.

Right: I know that is what it says. My interpretation is just different from yours or Kurtz's or the OP's.

In past teaching I have assigned both versions of this problem, but in the scenario modeled by the OP I would just say "for a given area ##A## of sides and bottom, maximize the volume", with no mention at all of "waste".

Karol said:
$$A=4ab+a^2~\rightarrow~b=\frac{A-a^2}{4a}$$
$$a=\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}~\rightarrow~b=\frac{A-\frac{A}{3}}{4\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}$$
$$=\frac{2A}{12\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{A}{6\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{\sqrt{3A}}{6}$$

So, are you happy with that answer? Do you know whether or not it is correct?

$$\frac{2A}{12\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{A}{6\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}}=\frac{\sqrt{3A}}{6}=\frac{\sqrt{3A}\sqrt{3}}{6\sqrt{3}}=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{A}{3}}$$

I will take that as a "yes". :oldsmile:

What is the concept of "Maximum area from fixed length fence"?

The concept of "Maximum area from fixed length fence" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the largest possible area within a given perimeter. This problem is often used in geometry and optimization to find the most efficient use of resources.

What is the formula for calculating the maximum area from a fixed length fence?

The formula for calculating the maximum area from a fixed length fence is A = (L/4)^2, where A is the maximum area and L is the length of the fence. This formula is derived from the geometric shape with the largest area for a given perimeter, which is a square.

What are the steps for solving a "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem?

The steps for solving a "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem are as follows: 1. Determine the length of the fixed fence 2. Divide the length by 4 3. Square the result 4. The resulting number is the maximum area that can be enclosed by the fixed fence.

How is the "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem relevant in real life?

The "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem is relevant in real life because it can be applied to various situations where resources or space need to be optimized. For example, it can be used in urban planning to determine the maximum area for a park within a fixed perimeter, or in agriculture to find the maximum area for a farm within a given fence length.

What are the limitations of the "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem?

One limitation of the "Maximum area from fixed length fence" problem is that it assumes the shape with the largest area for a given perimeter is always a square. In reality, there may be other shapes that can maximize the area within a fixed perimeter. Additionally, the problem does not take into account any constraints or obstacles within the fenced area, which may affect the actual usable area.