Maximal Interval of Existence for a Differential Equation with Initial Condition

In summary: Best RegardsMathboyIn summary, the conversation discusses an initial value problem (IVP) involving a differential equation and an initial condition. The goal is to find the maximal solution, which is equivalent to finding the maximum interval on which the solution curve is defined. The solution involves finding the value of a constant, C, and determining the interval within which the solution oscillates. The maximum solution is found when the value of alpha, which can take on three possible values, is equal to 1.
mathboy20

Homework Statement

Given the IVP problem

[tex]\rm{(1+x^2)^{-1} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)} \iff [/tex]

[tex]\rm{(1+x^2)^{-1} dx = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)} dt[/tex]

Find the maximal solution with the initial conditio condition x(0) = 0.

Then alpha is either [tex]\alpha_{1} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex] or [tex]\alpha_{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly new to differential equation theory like this, but couldn't my professor mean "Maximum interval of existence"? By that meaning "maximal solution" is equivalent to the statement that finding the maximal interval on which the solution curve is defined.

Thusly if I try to solve the above equation I get

[tex]\rm{tan(x)^{-1} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot sin(t) + C}[/tex]

[tex]x = \rm{tan(\frac{\alpha \cdot \pi}{2} \cdot sin(t) + C)}[/tex]

What I don't get here is that if I insert the values of first or second alpha then I get an interval which is centered around zero.

But that can be right can it?? Here I am stuck and need help...

Best Regards
Mathboy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathboy20 said:
Given the IVP problem

[tex]\rm{(1+x^2)^{-1} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)} \iff [/tex]

[tex]\rm{(1+x^2)^{-1} dx = \frac{\alpha \cdot 2 \pi}{4} \cdot cos(t)} dt[/tex]

Then alpha is either [tex]\alpha_{1} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex] or [tex]\alpha_{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I am fairly new to differential equation theory like this, but couldn't my professor mean "Maximum interval of existence"? By that meaning "maximal solution" is equivalent to the statement that finding the maximal interval on which the solution curve is defined.

Thusly if I try to solve the above equation I get

[tex]x = \rm{tan(\frac{\alpha \cdot \pi}{2} \cdot sin(t) + C)}[/tex]

Hi mathboy20! :smile:

(what's IVP? :confused:)

(Your C is obviously 0.)

It's not "the maximal interval on which the solution curve is defined" … if alpha < 1, the solution is defined for all t.

Hint: sin(t) oscillates between ±1, so x also oscillates …

what is the interval within which it oscillates? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(what's IVP? :confused:):

Initial value problem = IVP

tiny-tim said:
(Your C is obviously 0.)

But I need to find C in each of the two alpha cases?

what is the interval within which it oscillates? :smile:

Don't shoot me, but since its for all t then x oscillates on the interval [tex]\pm \rm{t}[/tex]??

Then as you say alpha < 1.

Best Regards
Mathboy

p.s. If there existed a case where alpha > 1 then the solution would exeed the interval on which the previous two solutions with regards to alpha where defined?

Last edited:
Hi Mathboy! :smile:
I'm very sorry I didn't reply earlier … I seem to have somehow deactivated my email notification for this thread :redface:
mathboy20 said:
But I need to find C in each of the two alpha cases?

(have a pm: ± and an alpha: α and a pi: π :smile:)

Both zero … when t = 0, sint = 0, and so tan (απ/2 sint) = 0 , for any α. :smile:
Don't shoot me, but since its for all t then x oscillates on the interval [tex]\pm \rm{t}[/tex]??

Bang! :biggrin:

sint oscillates between ±1

so απ/2 sint oscillates between ±απ/2

so tan(απ/2 sint) oscillates between ±tan(απ/2) so long as that doesn't "include infinity".

So if α ≥ 1, it doesn't oscillate … it jumps wildly. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mathboy! :smile:
I'm very sorry I didn't reply earlier … I seem to have somehow deactivated my email notification for this thread :redface:

(have a pm: ± and an alpha: α and a pi: π :smile:)

Both zero … when t = 0, sint = 0, and so tan (απ/2 sint) = 0 , for any α. :smile:

Bang! :biggrin:

sint oscillates between ±1

so απ/2 sint oscillates between ±απ/2

so tan(απ/2 sint) oscillates between ±tan(απ/2) so long as that doesn't "include infinity".

So if α ≥ 1, it doesn't oscillate … it jumps wildly. :smile:

So anyway if so just to stress that I have understood You correct Mister Tiny Tim.

The maximum solution for the original equation lies on the interval between ±tan(απ/2)?

Best Regards
Mathboy

mathboy20 said:
So anyway if so just to stress that I have understood You correct Mister Tiny Tim.

The maximum solution for the original equation lies on the interval between ±tan(απ/2)?

hmm … the original question was …
mathboy20 said:

I've never heard of the phrase "maximal solution" before :frown:, but I assume what it means is the solution with the maximum oscillation … which would be tan(απ/2) = ∞, or α = 1.

I don't see where α = 1/4 or 1/2 comes from. :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … the original question was …I've never heard of the phrase "maximal solution" before :frown:, but I assume what it means is the solution with the maximum oscillation … which would be tan(απ/2) = ∞, or α = 1.

I don't see where α = 1/4 or 1/2 comes from. :confused:

Just looked at the again.

There are three possible alphas [tex]\alpha = 1/2, \alpha = \sqrt{2} , \alpha = 1[/tex] But that doesn't change anything does it?

What is the maximum interval of existence?

The maximum interval of existence refers to the longest possible period of time that any given entity or system can exist before it ceases to exist.

Why is the maximum interval of existence important?

Understanding the maximum interval of existence is important for predicting the lifespan of various objects and systems, as well as for understanding the limitations of our universe and the concept of time.

How is the maximum interval of existence determined?

The maximum interval of existence is determined by various factors such as the laws of physics, the environment, and any potential external influences that could cause the system to cease to exist.

Can the maximum interval of existence be extended?

In theory, the maximum interval of existence can be extended by finding ways to prevent or delay the factors that would cause the system to cease to exist. However, this is subject to the limitations of our current understanding and technology.

What are some examples of the maximum interval of existence?

Some examples of the maximum interval of existence include the lifespan of the universe, the lifespan of stars, and the lifespan of human beings. It can also apply to objects such as buildings, machines, and organisms.