Max Value of f(x): 3cos(4πx-1.3) + 5cos(2πx+0.5)

• Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Value
In summary, the maximum value of the function f(x) = 3cos(4*pi*x-1.3) + 5cos(2*pi*x+0.5) can be found by differentiating and setting the derivative equal to zero. However, this may not always be helpful and can lead to a complicated equation. The solution can be found by using the double angle formulas and reducing the equation to the form tan(2*pi*x)=-B/A, and solving for x. The maximum value of the function is 5.7811.
AlbertEinstein
The question is find the maximum value of the following function

f(x) = 3cos(4*pi*x-1.3) + 5cos(2*pi*x+0.5).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"The question"? Where, in your homework?

Looks pretty straight forward to me: differentiate and set the derivative equal to 0. Use the sin(a+b) formula to isolate [itex]sin(3\pi x)[/itex] and [itex]cos(3\pi x)[/itex].

Calculus isn't always helpful!

Hey HallsofIvy,

Your suggestion was quite correct. However I dare say differentiating and equating to zero does not always help.
Here f (x) = 3cos (4*pi*x-1.3) + 5cos (2*pi*x+0.5)
Or, f’ (x) = - [12*pi*sin (4*pi*x-1.3) + 10*pi*sin (2*pi*x+0.5)]
Equating this to zero,
12*pi*sin (4*pi*x-1.3) + 10*pi*sin (2*pi*x+0.5)] = 0
Now if I use the sin (a+b) formula the equation gets rather complicated.

I shall be thankful to you if you could please show the full solution.
However the answer is 5.7811.

Yes, it gets complicated. Anything wrong with that? You'll also, by the way, need to use the double angle formulas to reduce [itex]4\pi x[/itex] to [itex]2\pi x[/itex]. After you done all that, you will have an equation of the form [itex]A sin(2\pi x)+ B cos(2\pi x)= 0[/itex] with rather complicated numbers for A and B. But they are only numbers! Write [itex]tan(2\pi x)= -B/A[/itex] and solve.

What is the maximum value of f(x)?

The maximum value of f(x) is 8.3.

How do you find the maximum value of f(x)?

To find the maximum value of f(x), you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0, then solve for x. Plug the value of x into the original function to find the maximum value.

What is the period of the function f(x)?

The period of the function f(x) is 0.5, which is the smallest common multiple of the periods of the two cosine functions (2π and 4π).

At what values of x does the maximum value occur?

The maximum value of f(x) occurs at x=0.1 and x=0.6.

How does changing the coefficients of the cosine functions affect the maximum value of f(x)?

Changing the coefficients of the cosine functions will affect the amplitude and phase shift of the function, but it will not change the maximum value. The maximum value will always be 8.3.