1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum shearing stesses in a beam

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    Are my answers to the following questions correct?

Question 1 :
    If an I beam was to have a plate attached to the top flange would the maximum allowable shearing stress be greater at the top left side of the beam, or the bottom left side of the beam?

My answer:
    The maximum allowable shearing stress would remain unchanged because maximum shearing stress is determined by the material's strength. The larger area of the transverse section that the top left side has would however allow for a larger force to be applied.

Question 2:
    In the same I beam setup as in question 1, how would the bending stresses between the top left side of the beam and the bottom left side of the beam differ?

My Answer:
    Same as the answer to q1.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'top left' or 'bottom left' . The max shear stress occurs at the neutral axis (center) of the beam, at the point of maximum shear, and must not exceed the allowable shear stress. Max bending stresses occur at the top or bottom flanges, at the point of maximum moment. Please clarify.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?