Maximum value of directional derivative (Duf)?

The max. value of directional derivative at a point is the length of the gradient vector, not the vector itself. In summary, the max. value of directional derivative at a point is the length of the gradient vector, which is represented by the formula Max. val of Duf = (√3145)/5 when ∇f = (56/5) i- (3/5) j.
JC3187
Hi guys,

I am confused from what I know the max. value of directional derivative at a point is the length of the gradient vector ∇f or grad. f?

Why does the answer in my book of a question say that
Max. val of Duf = (√3145)/5
when ∇f = (56/5) i- (3/5) j
?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
JC3187 said:
Hi guys,

I am confused from what I know the max. value of directional derivative at a point is the length of the gradient vector ∇f or grad. f?

Why does the answer in my book of a question say that
Max. val of Duf = (√3145)/5
when ∇f = (56/5) i- (3/5) j
?

Thanks

[tex]\|\nabla f\| = \sqrt{\left(\frac{56}{5}\right)^2 + \left(-\frac{3}{5}\right)^2} = \dots[/tex]

It is the difference between "a vector" and "length of a vector".

What is the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf)?

The maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) is the largest possible rate of change of a function in a given direction. It represents the maximum slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point in the specified direction.

How is the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) calculated?

The maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the specified direction. This dot product gives the magnitude of the directional derivative in that direction, and the maximum value is the largest possible magnitude.

What does the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) tell us about a function?

The maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) provides information about the steepness or slope of a function in a particular direction. It can help determine the direction in which the function is changing the fastest and the rate at which it is changing.

Can the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) be negative?

Yes, the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) can be negative. This would indicate a decreasing rate of change in the specified direction. The maximum value can also be zero, which would indicate no change in the specified direction.

How is the maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) used in real-world applications?

The maximum value of directional derivative (Duf) is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can help determine the direction and rate of change of temperature, pressure, or other physical quantities. In economics, it can be used to optimize production or determine the direction of maximum profit.