Maxmia-TeXmacs, Case sensitivity

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensitivity
In summary, the issue discussed is about a case sensitivity problem when running Maxima(5.9.2) on WinTeXmacs(1.0.5). The output is always in upper case even when variables are entered in lower case. Some suggested solutions include using wxMaxima instead of WinTeXmacs, switching to Axiom, or running Unix TeXMacs under KUbuntu. There have also been discussions of problems with Maxima under Ubuntu and KUbuntu, with some suggesting to browse the .BAT file in the Maxima\bin folder to connect it to wxMaxima.
neutrino
Could someone please help me resolve this case sensitivity issue when running a session of Maxima(5.9.2) on WinTeXmacs(1.0.5). The output is always is in the upper case even though I entered the variables in the lower case. Are there are any patches to fix this problem ?

Any help will be appreciated.

-------

Navneeth

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't use Maxmia-TeXmacs, so I don't really know how to solve it. But I don't think it'll cause you lots of troubles just by capitalizing the variables...
I often use Maxmia-wxMaxima. You can check it out http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/ (The latest version is 0.6.4). It's pretty good, though. And by the way, the output it gives is not in upper-case. :wink:

I still have the same dilemma, with Maxima 5.9.3 and the native windows port of WinTexMacs 1.0.5. This particular configuration leads to all output variables being displayed as uppercase, which is both ugly and confusing. For a while, I had switched to Axiom just to take advantage of the nicer output formatting, but I prefer Maxima for ease of use and familiarity.

Unfortunately, I have not found an obvious work-around, and so I installed Unix TeXMacs under KUbuntu 6.06, which I run under windows with the free VMWare Player, so no rebooting is necessary. While not particularly economical on hard drive space, it is not much worse than installing Cygwin or CygTeXMacs under windows. Curiously enough, the on-line forums have seen some discussion of problems with Maxima under Ubuntu (or KUbuntu), with both xMaxima and wxMaxima failing to connect to the console app. However, the TeXMacs interface does not seem to share this problem, attributed to the underlying lisp compiler.

If someone has found a more elegant solution that would allow me to use the WinTeXMacs port, I would be grateful. I think TeXMacs is a magnificent interface that puts even the Mathematica front-end to shame, but the typesetting quality of mathematical output and the ability to intersperse text, code, and output in notebook format are the reasons for using the interface in the first place.

I don't use WinTexmacs. I runs pretty slowly on my computer, and for some weird reason, it cannot open Maxima session... :confused:
I use wxMaxima instead. It works pretty well for me. There's only one small irritable fact is that, when the line of the output is long, it doesn't split it into smaller ones (like Mathematica), instead, it gives you a line long, which is very ugly, and hard-to-see. :frown:
atul said:
...Curiously enough, the on-line forums have seen some discussion of problems with Maxima under Ubuntu (or KUbuntu), with both xMaxima and wxMaxima failing to connect to the console app.
IIRC, you should browse the .BAT file in Maxima\bin folder or something like that. Then connect it to wxMaxima, and it'll be fine. :)

Related to Maxmia-TeXmacs, Case sensitivity

1. What is Maxmia-TeXmacs?

Maxmia-TeXmacs is a computer program used for technical document editing and scientific publishing. It is an open-source alternative to commercial software such as LaTeX.

2. What is case sensitivity in Maxmia-TeXmacs?

Case sensitivity refers to the distinction made between uppercase and lowercase letters in Maxmia-TeXmacs. This means that the program treats "A" and "a" as two different characters and may have different behaviors or interpretations based on the case of the letters used.

3. Why is case sensitivity important in Maxmia-TeXmacs?

Case sensitivity is important in Maxmia-TeXmacs because it affects the accuracy and consistency of the document formatting and commands. If a user enters a command or variable in the wrong case, it may result in errors or unexpected outputs.

4. Can I change the case sensitivity settings in Maxmia-TeXmacs?

Yes, Maxmia-TeXmacs allows users to customize the case sensitivity settings. This can be done through the preferences or options menu, where users can choose to enable or disable case sensitivity or change the behavior of specific commands.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues related to case sensitivity in Maxmia-TeXmacs?

If you encounter any issues related to case sensitivity in Maxmia-TeXmacs, you can try checking the case of your commands and variables to ensure they are entered correctly. You can also refer to the program's documentation or seek help from the community forums for further assistance.