1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Maxwell and the speed of light

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    Einstein said that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

When Maxwell derived that the speed of light in the ether was 299,792,458 m/s could he or did he surmise that the speed of light is constant for all observers (regardless of the motion of the source)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it took Einstein to make that leap.

4. Jun 1, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure that's exactly true. It was well known by Einstein's time that Maxwell's equations predicted that speed of light is constant independent of the motion of the source. This was generally thought of as a flaw in the theory and that Maxwell's equations were approximate and would need to be modified. Einstein's contribution was to take this feature seriously.

5. Jun 1, 2016 #4
    Maxwell thought electromagnetism was carried in some kind of luminiferous aether. I suppose it was understood that the speed of light would be relative to the aether. Lorentz eventually came up with a theory in which the speed of light was invariant, but still held on to the concept of aether.

6. Jun 1, 2016 #5
    We are done with aether now, it does not fit with observation.
    Dark matter is what though?, not aether but it is there (apparently)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. Jun 2, 2016 #6

tech99

Gold Member

May be wrong but not certain that Maxwell did suppose the existence of an aether. He produced equations which fit the facts by postulating a mechanical analogue using rotating cells. He did not seem to propose an actual mechanism for EM phenomena.

8. Jun 2, 2016 #7

Delta²

Gold Member

Maxwell worked a lot in the aether theory. In his 1873 paper "Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism" aether is mentioned as the medium in which EM waves and light propagate. But even at that time the properties of aether were considered sort of magical.

from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

9. Jun 2, 2016 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. That's the "leap" that I was talking about. Maybe it's just me but I've always thought that THAT leap was the hard one and the one he didn't make (that the universe wasn't static) would have been an easier one. I mean, to me the speed of light thing is just weird and it astounds me that anyone could make that leap. 'Course I couldn't have made either one of them I'm sure.

10. Jun 2, 2016 #9
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  11. Jun 2, 2016 #10
    None of these fit the observation [yet] (even the LUX experiment for detecting dark matter is failing, even after reaching its maximum resolution). There are also Einstein-aether theories for dark energy, but they are also failing.
    Aether was abandoned after the Michelson-Morley experiment ...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted