Maxwell equations in higher dimensions

In summary, there are ongoing investigations into generalizing the Maxwell equations to include extra dimensions. Some papers assert that this can be achieved using traditional curl operations and cross products, while others use clifford algebras. However, in order to maintain the symmetry of the classical Maxwell equations, the relativistic covariant form is necessary. This form also accounts for the fact that under a parity reversal, the electric and magnetic fields act as a vector and pseudovector, respectively. This is consistent with the idea that relativity should hold and extend naturally to extra dimensions. While there may not be immediate applications for these generalizations in physics, they are important for understanding fundamental principles.
yiorgos
My main question is if the Maxwell equations have been generalized
to include extra dimensions in an generally accepted form,
or is it still under investigation?

I've already read
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0609260v4
but I didn't quite like the add-hoc assertion
We assert that in all the traditional (3 + 1) D curl operations and cross products in
physics [...] one of the vectors involved is actually an antisymmetric second rank tensor.

Moreover, even we accept the above assertion, the resulting equations loose the aesthetic symmetry of classical Maxwell equations, a fact that in physics is always a warning message of something wrong.

Furthermore the following article
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0106235v2
makes things even more confusing as it states that Feynman derived the first set of Maxwell (relativistic) equations starting from the non relativistic Newton's second law!

Since I am a Physician only by hobby (my real occupation is Electrical Engineer) I can not totally follow the advanced mathematical/physics concepts in the relative articles I am asking your help for clarifying these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some useful generalizations of cross products using clifford algebras (those can be applied in 5D conformal modelling of 3D space in computer graphics), but I can't imagine what these maxwell equation generalizations would be used for.

If such generalizations were to have an accepted form, I would have to think there would need to be a physical application. Are there applications for such generalizations in physics?

Peeter said:
If such generalizations were to have an accepted form, I would have to think there would need to be a physical application. Are there applications for such generalizations in physics?

Physics is not a matter of applications, this is an Engineering subject.
Moreover, If the string theories and the M-theory are correct then the Maxwell equations ought to have a multi-dimensional form.

The extension used in the first paper is standard, while the second paper you quote is doing something speculative by assuming that relativity might break down at high energy.

As long as you want relativity to hold and extend naturally to extra dimensions, you need to use the formalism discussed in the first paper, where the Maxwell equations are expressed in a relativistically covariant form.

While it's true that the relativistic form of the Maxwell equations seems to break a symmetry between E and B, it's not terribly hard to show that this analogy is pretty strained to begin with. All we need to do to see this is to consider parity. If we invert parity (that is, if we reverse the direction of our coordinate axes), the physical direction of any vector should be unchanged. But, since our axes are now reversed, the vector, by remaining unchanged, is now pointing in the opposed direction with respect to each axis. (If it starts out pointing in the positive x-direction, reversing the axis means that it's now in the negative x-direction, and so on.) This means that under a parity reversal, any vector should pick up a minus sign.

Now, consider any relation involving a cross-product between two vectors. If, under the parity switch, each vector picks up a minus sign, these cancel, and the resulting "vector" is unchanged under parity. Physically, this means that the resulting vector will flip along with the parity. This, then, can't be a true vector. Instead, it must be a "axial vector" or "pseudovector." In fact, any cross-product relation must involve an odd number of pseudovectors in order to be consistent under parity.

Now, consider the Maxwell equations. It is not too hard to show that the gradient operator is a vector under parity. Then, by considering the total parity transformation of each of the four equations, we can see that the electric field must act as a vector, while the magnetic field acts as a pseudovector. In three dimensions, a pseudovector is equivalent to an antisymmetric second rank tensor. So, this is the form that must be generalized to higher dimensions, leading to the standard relativistic form.

Related to Maxwell equations in higher dimensions

1. What are Maxwell equations in higher dimensions?

Maxwell equations in higher dimensions refer to the extension of the classical electromagnetic field equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in three-dimensional space, to higher dimensions. This is done in order to study electromagnetism in a more general and abstract setting.

2. Why study Maxwell equations in higher dimensions?

Studying Maxwell equations in higher dimensions can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and potentially lead to new insights and discoveries. It also allows for the application of electromagnetic theory in other fields, such as string theory and higher-dimensional quantum field theory.

3. What are the differences between Maxwell equations in three dimensions and higher dimensions?

The main difference is the number of dimensions in which the equations are applied. In three dimensions, there are four Maxwell equations, while in higher dimensions there can be more or less depending on the specific theory being studied. Additionally, the solutions and behavior of the fields can be different in higher dimensions due to the increased complexity of the equations.

4. Are Maxwell equations in higher dimensions used in practical applications?

While the study of Maxwell equations in higher dimensions has not yet led to direct practical applications, it has contributed to the development of theoretical frameworks and mathematical techniques used in other fields, such as high energy physics and cosmology.

5. What are some challenges in studying Maxwell equations in higher dimensions?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations and the difficulty in visualizing and understanding the behavior of fields in higher dimensions. Additionally, the lack of experimental evidence for higher dimensions makes it harder to validate or test theories based on Maxwell equations in these settings.