What are the missing terms in the equation for F_{v}?

• Thread starter gjfelix2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxwell
In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem related to Maxwell's Equations and using vector calculus. The problem is about finding the expression for the force by volume unit over a free space region with charges and currents using Maxwell's Equations and a vectorial identity. The partial solution is provided and it is mentioned that some terms are missing. The conversation ends with a request for help in finding the missing terms.
gjfelix2006
Hi, i am solving a problem about Maxwell Equation that invoves a lot of Vector Calculus, i have a partial solution for it but i have a few terms missing :cry: , i appreciate any help in this. Thanks

The problem is the following

Starting with the expression of the force by volume unit over a free space region with charges and currents:
[itex]
F_{v}=\rho E+J\timesB
[/itex]
and using Maxwell's Equations:
[itex]

\begin{array}{l}
\nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to = \frac{\rho }{{ \in _0 }} \\
\nabla \times \mathop E\limits^ \to = - \frac{{\partial \mathop B\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\
\nabla \cdot \mathop B\limits^ \to = 0 \\
\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to = \mu _0 \mathop J\limits^ \to + \in _0 \mu _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\
\end{array}

[/itex]
and the following vectorial identity:
[itex]

\mathop B\limits^ \to \times \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to = \nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to
[/itex],

Show that:
[itex]

\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {F_v }\limits^ \to = - \in _0 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}(\mathop E\limits^ \to \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) + \in _0 \mathop E\limits^ \to \nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{2} \in _0 \nabla (E^2 ) + \in _0 (\mathop E\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop E\limits^ \to \\
{\rm{ + }}\frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}\mathop B\limits^ \to \nabla \cdot \mathop B\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{2\mu _0 }}\nabla \mathop {(B^2 ) + }\limits^{} \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to \\
\end{array}
[/itex]

Now, let me show you my partial solution:

First, by Maxwell Equations, i get J:
[itex]

\mathop J\limits^ \to = \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}}
[/itex]

And i replace it in the first equation for [itex]F_{v}[/itex] to get:
[itex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
\mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to + \left( {\frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}}} \right) \times \mathop B\limits^ \to \\
{\rm{ }} = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to + \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) \times \mathop B\limits^ \to - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) \\
\end{array}
\]

[/itex]
Changing the order of the cross product (the sign changes), then
[itex]
\[
\mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \times \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{)}}
\]

[/itex]
Now i can use the vectorial identity, thus:
[itex]
\[
= \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{) }}
\]

[/itex]

Also, from Maxwell equations:
[itex]
\rho = (\nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to ) \in _0
[/itex]
and replacing it into the last equation for [itex]F_{v}[/itex], i get:
[itex]
\mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \mathop E\limits^ \to (\nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to ) \in _0 - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{) }}
[/itex]
Some terms of what i should get can be seen already, but i have another terms missing. My last step is the following, what you think i should do to get the missing terms?
[itex]
\mathop {F_v }\limits^ \to = - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) + \in _0 (\mathop E\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{2\mu _0 }}\nabla \mathop {(B^2 ) + }\limits^{} \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to
[/itex]

¿What should I do to get the missing terms?
I think I must develop the first term in the last equation, but I don’t know how, can you help me?

I appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
the problem is also in pdf.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that in your question you've got terms such as
[tex] - \in _0 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}(\mathop E\limits^ \to \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) [/tex]

First use the product rule and then
[tex] \nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} [/tex]

You should get your answer from this using some vector identites

P.S I think you've made a typo while typing your expression for F_v in the first step

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for your help siddharth, i found my error and finally solved my problem.

1. What is the Maxwell Equations problem?

The Maxwell Equations problem refers to a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the principles of electricity and magnetism.

2. What are the four Maxwell Equations?

The four Maxwell Equations are Gauss's Law, which relates electric fields to electric charges; Gauss's Law for magnetism, which relates magnetic fields to magnetic charges; Faraday's Law, which describes how a changing magnetic field generates an electric field; and Ampere's Law, which describes how an electric current generates a magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Equations?

The Maxwell Equations are significant because they provide a unified framework for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They also led to the discovery of electromagnetic waves, which are the basis of modern communication technologies such as radio, television, and wireless networks.

4. What is the Maxwell Equations problem in modern physics?

The Maxwell Equations problem in modern physics refers to the challenge of reconciling classical electromagnetism with the principles of quantum mechanics. While the Maxwell Equations accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic objects, they break down at the microscopic level and do not fully account for the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How are the Maxwell Equations used in practical applications?

The Maxwell Equations have numerous practical applications, including in the design of electrical circuits, antennas, and other electronic devices. They are also used in engineering and physics research to study and manipulate electric and magnetic fields for various purposes, such as energy generation and medical imaging.