1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell Equation's problem

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1
    Hi, i am solving a problem about Maxwell Equation that invoves a lot of Vector Calculus, i have a partial solution for it but i have a few terms missing :cry: , i appreciate any help in this. Thanks

The problem is the following

Starting with the expression of the force by volume unit over a free space region with charges and currents:
    [itex]
    F_{v}=\rho E+J\timesB
    [/itex]
    and using Maxwell's Equations:
    [itex]

\begin{array}{l}
    \nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to = \frac{\rho }{{ \in _0 }} \\
    \nabla \times \mathop E\limits^ \to = - \frac{{\partial \mathop B\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\
    \nabla \cdot \mathop B\limits^ \to = 0 \\
    \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to = \mu _0 \mathop J\limits^ \to + \in _0 \mu _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \\
    \end{array}

[/itex]
    and the following vectorial identity:
    [itex]

\mathop B\limits^ \to \times \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to = \nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to
    [/itex],

Show that:
    [itex]

\begin{array}{l}
    \mathop {F_v }\limits^ \to = - \in _0 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}(\mathop E\limits^ \to \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) + \in _0 \mathop E\limits^ \to \nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{2} \in _0 \nabla (E^2 ) + \in _0 (\mathop E\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop E\limits^ \to \\
    {\rm{ + }}\frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}\mathop B\limits^ \to \nabla \cdot \mathop B\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{2\mu _0 }}\nabla \mathop {(B^2 ) + }\limits^{} \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to \\
    \end{array}
    [/itex]

Now, let me show you my partial solution:

First, by Maxwell Equations, i get J:
    [itex]

\mathop J\limits^ \to = \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}}
    [/itex]

And i replace it in the first equation for [itex]F_{v}[/itex] to get:
    [itex]
    \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    \mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to + \left( {\frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 \frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}}} \right) \times \mathop B\limits^ \to \\
    {\rm{ }} = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to + \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) \times \mathop B\limits^ \to - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) \\
    \end{array}
    \]

[/itex]
    Changing the order of the cross product (the sign changes), then
    [itex]
    \[
    \mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \times \nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{)}}
    \]

[/itex]
    Now i can use the vectorial identity, thus:
    [itex]
    \[
    = \rho \mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{) }}
    \]

[/itex]

Also, from Maxwell equations:
    [itex]
    \rho = (\nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to ) \in _0
    [/itex]
    and replacing it into the last equation for [itex]F_{v}[/itex], i get:
    [itex]
    \mathop F\limits^ \to _v = \mathop E\limits^ \to (\nabla \cdot \mathop E\limits^ \to ) \in _0 - \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\nabla ({\textstyle{1 \over 2}}B^2 ) - (\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to ) - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to {\rm{) }}
    [/itex]
    Some terms of what i should get can be seen already, but i have another terms missing. My last step is the following, what you think i should do to get the missing terms?
    [itex]
    \mathop {F_v }\limits^ \to = - \in _0 (\frac{{\partial \mathop E\limits^ \to }}{{\partial t}} \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) + \in _0 (\mathop E\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop E\limits^ \to - \frac{1}{{2\mu _0 }}\nabla \mathop {(B^2 ) + }\limits^{} \frac{1}{{\mu _0 }}(\mathop B\limits^ \to \cdot \nabla )\mathop B\limits^ \to
    [/itex]

¿What should I do to get the missing terms?
    I think I must develop the first term in the last equation, but I don’t know how, can you help me?

I appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
    the problem is also in pdf.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that in your question you've got terms such as
    [tex] - \in _0 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}(\mathop E\limits^ \to \times \mathop B\limits^ \to ) [/tex]

First use the product rule and then
    [tex] \nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} [/tex]

You should get your answer from this using some vector identites

P.S I think you've made a typo while typing your expression for F_v in the first step

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    Ok, thanks for your help siddharth, i found my error and finally solved my problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?