Maxwell field commutation relations

In summary, in their QFT book, Aitchison and Hey write down the canonical momentum for the Maxwell field and the commutation relations for the field and its momentum. They assume that the commutation relations between the field and its momentum are zero, and from this it follows that the spatial derivatives of the field commute with each other and with the field itself at equal times. This is due to the difference in spatial arguments for the field and its momentum, which is not manifestly Lorentz covariant in the Hamiltonian formalism.
eudo
Maxwell field commutation relations

I'm looking at Aitchison and Hey's QFT book. I see in Chapter 7, (pp. 191-192), they write down the canonical momentum for the Maxwell field [itex]A^\mu(x)[/itex]:

[tex]
\pi^0=\partial_\mu A^\mu \\
\pi^i=-\dot{A}^i+\partial^i A^0
[/tex]

and then write down the commutation relations

[tex]
[\hat{A}_\mu(\boldsymbol{x},t),\hat{\pi}_\nu(\boldsymbol{y},t)]=ig_{\mu\nu}\delta^3(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y})
[/tex]

and state that if you assume the commutation relations

[tex]
[\hat{A}_\mu(\boldsymbol{x},t),\hat{A}_\nu(\boldsymbol{y},t)]=[\hat{\pi}_\mu(\boldsymbol{x},t),\hat{\pi}_\nu(\boldsymbol{y},t)]=0
[/tex]

we see that the spatial derivatives of the [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]'s commute with the [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]'s, and with each other, at equal times.

They state it as if it's obvious, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why the spatial derivatives of the [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]'s commute with the [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]'s, and with each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just take the derivatives with respect to spatial components ##\vec{x}## or ##\vec{y}##, and you see that the equatl-time commutators stay 0. It's different for the time derivative, because here you have the same time argument in both entries of the commutator. It's the specialty of time vs. space coordinates in the Hamiltonian formalism, which is never manifestly Lorentz covariant!

Likes eudo
Ah, I see. The spatial arguments of the [itex]A_\mu[/itex] and [itex]A_\nu[/itex] are different, of course... I seem to have overlooked that. Thanks!

What are Maxwell field commutation relations?

Maxwell field commutation relations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the fundamental interactions between electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are a cornerstone of classical electromagnetism.

Why are Maxwell field commutation relations important?

Maxwell field commutation relations are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They provide a fundamental framework for studying electromagnetism and have many practical applications, including in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications.

What is the significance of the commutation relations in Maxwell's equations?

The commutation relations in Maxwell's equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields at a particular point in space and time. They show that these fields are intertwined and cannot exist independently of each other. This insight was crucial in the development of the theory of electromagnetism and has greatly advanced our understanding of the physical world.

How are Maxwell field commutation relations derived?

Maxwell field commutation relations are derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By solving these equations and examining their properties, the commutation relations can be derived and understood.

Are Maxwell field commutation relations still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Maxwell field commutation relations are still relevant in modern physics. While they were first developed in the 19th century, they continue to be used in a wide range of fields, including classical and quantum electrodynamics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. They are also an important part of the foundation for many modern theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.