Maxwellian velocity distribution

In summary, at ultra-low temperatures, the classical Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for the probabilistic distribution of velocities in an ideal gas is no longer applicable due to the increasing significance of quantum effects. This means that the gas will condense and no longer behave as a gas, making the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution irrelevant. For further understanding, it is recommended to ask questions in a physics forum.
samreen
hey, I've just begun on elementary concepts in heat and thermodynamics. nd i was wondering...for the probabilistic maxwellian distribution of velocities in an ideal gas, as absolute temperature of the gas system tends to 0 K, the distribution plot will tend to the delta function, wnt it? can anyone please explain if this is what will happen, and if yes, what's the actual physical significance of this result? [please assume i dnt kno anything, and explain everything :) ]

Physics news on Phys.org
samreen said:
hey, I've just begun on elementary concepts in heat and thermodynamics. nd i was wondering...for the probabilistic maxwellian distribution of velocities in an ideal gas, as absolute temperature of the gas system tends to 0 K, the distribution plot will tend to the delta function, wnt it? can anyone please explain if this is what will happen, and if yes, what's the actual physical significance of this result? [please assume i dnt kno anything, and explain everything :) ]

As the temp approaches 0K,maxwellian distribution is no longer effective
You should use quantum statistics like Fermi-Dirac distribution or Bose-Einstein distribution at ultra-low temp

thanx...im cluless bt the other 2 tho

why does maxwells breakdown or whatever, for low T?

samreen said:
why does maxwells breakdown or whatever, for low T?

As temp goes ultra-low,the quantum nature of the particles (atoms,molecules.ions,etc) becomes more significant,so the classical Maxwell-Boltzman distribution,which neglects all quantum effects, no longer applies.

the gas will condense, itl no longer be a gas. so maxwells distribution ought not to apply. I've got it partly.

What is Maxwellian velocity distribution?

Maxwellian velocity distribution describes the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas or liquid at a specific temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell, who first described it in the 19th century.

How does Maxwellian velocity distribution relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases states that gas particles are constantly moving and colliding with each other. Maxwellian velocity distribution is a mathematical representation of this behavior, showing the range of velocities that particles are likely to have at a given temperature.

What does the shape of the Maxwellian velocity distribution curve represent?

The shape of the curve represents the probability of a particle having a specific velocity. The peak of the curve represents the most probable velocity, while the width of the curve represents the range of velocities that particles are likely to have.

What factors affect the shape of the Maxwellian velocity distribution curve?

The shape of the curve is affected by temperature, mass of the particles, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or electric fields. Higher temperatures result in a wider and flatter curve, while heavier particles will have a narrower and taller curve.

How is Maxwellian velocity distribution used in practical applications?

Maxwellian velocity distribution is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and plasma physics to understand and predict the behavior of gases and liquids. It is also used in engineering to design efficient systems, such as in the development of rockets and jet engines.