Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

*May be a stupid question* Does Oxygen/Nitrogen bend space-time?

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    I understand that matter and energy bend space time, yet i am curious as to the level at which it requires to bend it. This is obviously an elementary leveled question, but i am quite curious. Also, is there any level of matter that is incapable of bending space-time? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll6.html" [Broken] is the explanation that I'm aware of and yes it would make sense that all matter would bend space time but not as much as a planet or a star.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All forms of matter and energy bend spacetime according to general relativity. As for significance, you don't specify whether you mean atoms of oxygen or nitrogen, or a blob of gas (or how much gas). Assuming atoms, and assuming 'near the nucleus', one measure of 'amount of curvature' is the Kretschmann invariant. This invariant next to the nucleus of a Nitrogen atom is over 25 orders of magnitude greater than at the earths surface. Thus, one might expect strong tidal gravity at the surface of the nucleus compared to the surface of the earth.

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook