'Mean Aversion' in Stochastic Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses various types of stochastic differential equations (SDEs) that do not follow a mean over time. The speaker is looking for examples of SDEs that exhibit a sharp increase followed by a sharp decrease, such as a bimodal or trimodal distribution. One example mentioned is geometric Brownian motion, which combines Brownian motion with geometric growth to model stocks. However, the speaker is unsure if a bimodally distributed Wiener process can be used in place of the normally or lognormally distributed one.
Apogee
I had a brief question regarding SDEs. Typically, I've seen models like the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process that generally revert back to the mean over time. However, I've been trying to find a stochastic differential equation/process that avoids the mean, such as a sharp increase followed by a sharp decrease. What examples are like this and/or how would one derive something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Precisely. Is there any SDE/SP that represents a bimodal/trimodal/etc. distribution?

Actually none come to my mind right now, although I'm sure there are.

One example of perhaps an SDE that does not fall to a mean is geometric (or arithmetic even) Brownian motion, which is basically a superposition of Brownian motion on top of geometric growth, often used to model stocks.

Could I just take geometric Brownian motion and instead of a Wiener process that is normally or lognormally distributed, use a Wiener process that is bimodally distributed?

I am not familiar with any Wiener process than the regular Brownian motion...which is normally distributed...o.o

Hahaha. Then just a random process that is bimodally distributed.

Related to 'Mean Aversion' in Stochastic Differential Equations

What is 'Mean Aversion' in Stochastic Differential Equations?

'Mean Aversion' is a concept in stochastic differential equations that refers to the tendency of a system to move towards its mean value over time. In other words, if the current value of the system is above its mean, it will tend to decrease, and if it is below its mean, it will tend to increase.

How is 'Mean Aversion' represented in a stochastic differential equation?

'Mean Aversion' is represented as a drift term in a stochastic differential equation. This drift term is usually negative, indicating that the system has a tendency to move towards its mean value.

What are the implications of 'Mean Aversion' in stochastic differential equations?

The presence of 'Mean Aversion' in a stochastic differential equation can lead to long-term stability of the system. It also affects the frequency and magnitude of fluctuations in the system, as it tends to dampen large deviations from the mean value.

How does 'Mean Aversion' differ from 'Mean Reversion'?

'Mean Aversion' and 'Mean Reversion' are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. While 'Mean Aversion' refers to the tendency of a system to move towards its mean value, 'Mean Reversion' refers to the tendency of a system to return to its mean value after a deviation.

Can 'Mean Aversion' be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, 'Mean Aversion' can be observed in many real-world systems, such as financial markets, population dynamics, and weather patterns. It is a common phenomenon that arises in systems that exhibit a random or stochastic behavior.