Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Mean Aversion' in Stochastic Differential Equations

1. Sep 1, 2014 #1
    I had a brief question regarding SDEs. Typically, I've seen models like the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process that generally revert back to the mean over time. However, I've been trying to find a stochastic differential equation/process that avoids the mean, such as a sharp increase followed by a sharp decrease. What examples are like this and/or how would one derive something like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 1, 2014 #3
    Precisely. Is there any SDE/SP that represents a bimodal/trimodal/etc. distribution?

5. Sep 1, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually none come to my mind right now, although I'm sure there are.

One example of perhaps an SDE that does not fall to a mean is geometric (or arithmetic even) Brownian motion, which is basically a superposition of Brownian motion on top of geometric growth, often used to model stocks.

6. Sep 1, 2014 #5
    Could I just take geometric Brownian motion and instead of a Wiener process that is normally or lognormally distributed, use a Wiener process that is bimodally distributed?

7. Sep 1, 2014 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with any Wiener process than the regular Brownian motion...which is normally distributed...o.o

8. Sep 3, 2014 #7
    Hahaha. Then just a random process that is bimodally distributed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook