1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Value Theorem Problem

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that sin x < x for all x > 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I was pretty good at calculus so I have kinda been shifting my calc class onto the bottom of my todo list, but this mean value theorem problem is giving me some problems.

For x > 1, sin x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 < x

This was my start.... after about 25 minutes of thinking about how the mean value theorem could be applied I looked in the back.. (with much reluctance, trust me). They chose 2pi instead of 1 for the first part, that is likely significant but I am not getting thepoint. They then proceed to prove that (sinx)/(x) = cos(c) for some c in (0,2pi) and I can see that at that point c sin x< x since cos(c)[tex]\leq 1[/tex] but ONLY at that point c... I don't see how it proves it for the general case in that interval...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show that the slope of the tangent of [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] is less than one for [itex]0<x \leq 1[/itex]?

Then, if you assume that there is a point with [itex]x>0,x=\sin(x)[/itex] what happens when you apply the mean value theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?