Mean Value Theorem: Proof & Claim

In summary: We can use the Mean Value Theorem to show that ##f'(x) = a## and rewrite the function as ##f(x) = ax + b##. This can then be applied to show that ##f'(x) = ax + b## for all ##x \in I##. We can use this claim to simplify the proof for the second part by showing that ##f'(x) = a##, and then applying the claim twice to show that there exists ##a, b, c## such that for all ##x \in I##, ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c##.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
a) Suppose ##f## is twice differentiable on an open interval ##I## and ##f''(x) = 0## for all ##x \in I##. Show ##f## has the form ##f(x) = ax + b## for suitable constants ##a## and ##b##.

b) Suppose ##f## is three times differentiable on an open interval ##I## and ##f''' = 0## on ##I##. What form does ##f## have? Prove your claim.
Relevant Equations
Mean Value theorem: Let ##f## be a continuous function on ##[a, b]## that is differentiable on ##(a, b)##. Then there exists [at least one] ##x## in ##(a, b)## such that:

$$f'(x) = \frac{f(a) - f(b)}{a - b}$$

Theorem: Let ##f## be a differentiable function on ##(a,b)## such that ##f'(x) = 0## for all ##x \in (a,b)##. Then ##f## is a constant function on ##(a,b)##.
a) Proof: By theorem above, there exists a ##a \in \mathbb{R}## such that for all ##x \in I## we have ##f'(x) = a##. Let ##x, y \in I##. Then, by Mean Value Theorem,

$$a = \frac{f(x) - f(y)}{x - y}$$

This can be rewritten as ##f(x) = ax - ay + f(y)##. Now, let ##g(y) = -ay + f(y)##. Then ##g'(y) = \lim_{t \rightarrow y} \frac{g(t) - g(y)}{t - y} = \lim_{t \rightarrow y}\frac{-at + f(t) +ay - f(y)}{t - y} = \lim_{t\rightarrow y}\frac{-at + ay}{t - y} + \lim_{t\rightarrow y}\frac{f(t) - f(y)}{t - y} = -a + a = 0## So, ##g## is constant on ##I##. So there exists ##b \in \mathbb{R}## such that for all ##y \in I##, ##g(y) = b##. We can conclude ##f(x) = ax + b##. []

b) I claim that there is ##a, b, c## such that for all ##x \in I##: ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c##

Proof: By part a) there exists ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}## such that for all ##x \in I## we have ##f'(x) = ax + b##. Let ##x, y \in I##. By MVT there exists ##t \in I## such that $$at + b = \frac{f(x) - f(y)}{x - y}$$

This can be rewritten as ##f(x) = (at + b)x - y(at + b) + f(y)##. Let ##g(y) = -y(at + b) + f(y)##. Then, ##g'(y) = -(at + b) + (ay + b) = a(y - t)##.Did I use MVT incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of points. It might have been simpler to take some fixed ##x_0 \in I##, rather than a second variable ##y##.

I can't see the conclusion to part b).

PeroK said:
A couple of points. It might have been simpler to take some fixed ##x_0 \in I##, rather than a second variable ##y##.

I can't see the conclusion to part b).
Thanks for the reply.

Where would I be able to fix ##x_0##? It seems for MVT, we choose an ##x, y \in I## and then are guaranteed a ##c \in I## such that ##f'(c) = \frac{f(x) - f(y)}{x - y}##?

Also, for part b) I meant I'm not sure how to continue. It seems ##g'(y) \neq 0## so ##g(y)## is not constant. (and I was expecting ##g(y)## to be constant). Also, I'm not sure what to do with ##(at + b)x = atx + bx##. It seems it would be easier if ##t = x## but I'm not sure how to get that.

I thought to use definition of derivative: ##\lim_{y \rightarrow x} \frac{f(y) - f(x)}{y - x} = f'(x) = ax + b## but haven't made progress with this either.

I would have taken ##x_0 \in I## and then from the MVT shown that For all ##x \in I##:

##a = \frac{f(x) - f(x_0)}{x - x_0}##

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
PeroK said:
I would have taken ##x_0 \in I## and then from the MVT shown that For all ##x \in I##:

##a = \frac{f(x) - f(x_0)}{x - x_0}##
OH ok so it would be something like this?: Fix ##x_0 \in I## and let ##x## be any element in ##I##. By MVT,
$$a = \frac{f(x) - f(x_0)}{x - x_0}$$
$$a(x - x_0) + f(x_0) = f(x)$$
$$ax - ax_0 + f(x_0) = f(x)$$
$$ax + b = f(x)$$
where ##b = -ax_0 + f(x_0)## is a constant since ##a, x_0, f(x_0)## are constants.[]

So this solves my problem with ##g## not being constant in part b.

Likes PeroK
fishturtle1 said:
OH ok so it would be something like this?: Fix ##x_0 \in I## and let ##x## be any element in ##I##. By MVT,
$$a = \frac{f(x) - f(x_0)}{x - x_0}$$
$$a(x - x_0) + f(x_0) = f(x)$$
$$ax - ax_0 + f(x_0) = f(x)$$
$$ax + b = f(x)$$
where ##b = -ax_0 + f(x_0)## is a constant since ##a, x_0, f(x_0)## are constants.[]

So this solves my problem with ##g## not being constant in part b.

To finish off part b) you might have to use more than the MVT. I don't immediately see a way to finish it off using the same technique as you used for part a).

Hint. If ##f'(x) = g'(x)##, what can you say about ##(f-g)(x)##?

Likes member 587159
PeroK said:
Hint. If ##f'(x) = g'(x)##, what can you say about ##(f-g)(x)##?
We can say ##(f-g)(x)## is constant.

fishturtle1 said:
We can say ##(f-g)(x)## is constant.
Okay. So, if you could find a single function for which ##f'''(x) = 0##, then you can find them all?

I'm going offline now.

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Here is how I would approach the problem:

Prove the following claim:

Let ##f,g: I \to \mathbb{R}## be differentiable functions where ##I## is an interval. If ##f'=g'## on ##I##, then there is a constant ##c## such that ##f=g+c##.

Proof: We have ##(f-g)'=0## and by your claim ##f-g## is constant. ##\quad \square##

Alright, let's see how this helps.

First, you have ##0'=0=f''=(f')'## so by the claim there is a constant ##a## such that ##f'=a##. Note that for all ##x\in I## we have ##(ax)'= a =f'(x)## so applying the claim a second time, you get that there is a constant b such that ##ax+b=f(x)## for all ##x\in I##.

You can do the other question by applying this claim three times. Let me know what you get.

EDIT: basically, the exercise is a good preparation for what you will see soon: indefinite integration.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes fishturtle1
PeroK said:
Okay. So, if you could find a single function for which ##f'''(x) = 0##, then you can find them all?
What I said was imprecise. I should have said that if you can find a function for which ##f'(x) = ax + b##, then you can find them all.

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Math_QED said:
Here is how I would approach the problem:

Prove the following claim:

Let ##f,g: I \to \mathbb{R}## be differentiable functions where ##I## is an interval. If ##f'=g'## on ##I##, then there is a constant ##c## such that ##f=g+c##.

Proof: We have ##(f-g)'=0## and by your claim ##f-g## is constant. ##\quad \square##

Alright, let's see how this helps.

First, you have ##0'=0=f''=(f')'## so by the claim there is a constant ##a## such that ##f'=a##. Note that for all ##x\in I## we have ##(ax)'= a =f'(x)## so applying the claim a second time, you get that there is a constant b such that ##ax+b=f(x)## for all ##x\in I##.

You can do the other question by applying this claim three times. Let me know what you get.

EDIT: basically, the exercise is a good preparation for what you will see soon: indefinite integration.

Proof: We have ##f''' = 0'''##. So, there exists ##f'' = 2a## for some ##2a \in \mathbb{R}##. Now, ##f'' - (2ax)' = 0##. So there exists ##b \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##f' - 2ax = b## i.e. ##f' - 2ax - b = 0##. Now, ##(ax^2 + bx)' = 2ax + b##. So, ##f' - (ax^2 + bx)' = 0##. Thus, there exists ##c \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##f - (ax^2 + bx) = c##. This can be rewritten as ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c##. ## \square##

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a way to connect the concepts of slope and rate of change in calculus. It is also used as a key tool in proving other important theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

How is the Mean Value Theorem proven?

The Mean Value Theorem is typically proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem. These two theorems provide the necessary conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only applies to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If a function fails to meet these conditions, the theorem cannot be applied.

What is the difference between the Mean Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero at some point within the interval. In other words, it is a specific application of the Mean Value Theorem for functions that have a horizontal tangent line at some point in the interval.