Exploring Proper Time in FLRW Metric: Meaning and Visualization

In summary: Accordingly, does the proper time refer to an event occurring, for instance, in P2 with respect to the observer, if placed in P1?No, the proper time is always defined relative to an observer.
Ennio
TL;DR Summary
If we consider a time variance in FLRW metric, how can we visualize an emitter (having proper time) in the 4D spacetime geometry?
The FLRW metric has been introduced to characterize the homogeneity and isotropy of the Universe and accordingly to obtain "easy" manageable solutions in Friedmann equations.

The FLWR metric is

1659257416397.png

where the LHS can be written as
1659257004389.png
where
1659257039707.png
is the proper time (despite we know that time is invariant in the formulation).

Please refer to the image below to visualize the 4D spacetime geometry used to derive the metric.
1659257718194.png

My questions is:
Let assume that the we do want to theoretically discuss a time variance in the equation.
In the 4D visualization, where is actually the observer placed? In one of the two spacetime events P1 or P2 ? Not in the center of the geometry.
Accordingly, does the proper time
1659257039707.png
refer to an event occurring, for instance, in P2 with respect to the observer, if placed in P1?
In this case, P2 emits the signal which is received by P1.
Am I making a conceptual mistake?

Thank you for supporting me.
E.

Attachments

• 1659256978581.png
    1659256978581.png
    555 bytes · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by
Ennio said:
Let assume that the we do want to theoretically discuss a time variance in the equation.
?

The coordinates are based on an arbitrary point in a spatially homogeneous spacetime. A comoving observer can be taken to have any coordinates.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by

?

The coordinates are based on an arbitrary point in a spatially homogeneous spacetime. A comoving observer can be taken to have any coordinates.
I mean that I would like to study a possible difference between cosmic and proper time. Why should time be invariant? Anyway, my question was related to the identification of the emitter in the 4D geometry. Are basically observer and emitter associated to P1 and P2 (see original picture I posted). Thank you!

Ennio said:
Do you mean you want to consider a perturbed version of the FLRW spacetime? Making it slightly more realistic so that stars and galaxies could form over time instead of there being a perfectly uniform fluid everywhere in spacetime?
Ennio said:
In the 4D visualization, where is actually the observer placed?
Well, the two visualisations are of 2d spatial slices embedded into a (purely invented) 3d space. Accordingly there may be observers at any location. Furthermore, the lines marked ##dl## are spatial displacements, so don't correspond to any interval of proper time at all - they are spacelike paths.
Ennio said:
In this case, P2 emits the signal which is received by P1.
There are no signals represented in those diagrams.

Ennio said:
I mean that I would like to study a possible difference between cosmic and proper time.
Cosmic time is the proper time of a comoving observer. If an observer moves relative to the comoving frame, they will be time dilated accordingly relative to cosmological time.

Ennio said:
Are basically observer and emitter associated to P1 and P2 (see original picture I posted). Thank you!
All points in space are completely equivalent. This is what homogeneity means. You can therefore pick any two points as long as they have the correct comoving distance between them. Of course, some choices (such as placing emitter or observer at r=0) makes life easier than others.

Ennio said:
I mean that I would like to study a possible difference between cosmic and proper time.
Assuming that by "cosmic time" you mean the time coordinate, ##t##, this is a completely different thing from proper time, which is the time experienced by any arbitrary observer between two points.
Ennio said:
Why should time be invariant?
It isn't, in general. The proper time along a specified path is an invariant, certainly, and (as Orodruin has just noted) the cosmic time is the proper time since the singularity experienced by observers at rest with respect to the matter in the universe.

Ennio said:
Summary: If we consider a time variance in FLRW metric, how can we visualize an emitter (having proper time) in the 4D spacetime geometry?

In the 4D visualization, where is actually the observer placed? In one of the two spacetime events P1 or P2 ? Not in the center of the geometry.
If there is a particular observer of interest (which is not necessary) then you would typically place them in the center. I am unsure why you would say “not in the center”. The center is arbitrary and any point can be selected as such.

1. What is the FLRW metric?

The FLRW metric is a mathematical description of the spacetime geometry in the expanding universe. It is based on the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) model, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity.

2. What does proper time mean in the FLRW metric?

Proper time is the time experienced by an observer who is at rest in the expanding universe. It is the time measured by a clock that is moving along with the observer, and it is the time used in the FLRW metric to describe the evolution of the universe.

3. How is proper time related to the expansion of the universe?

In the FLRW metric, the proper time is related to the scale factor, which describes the relative size of the universe at a given time. As the universe expands, the scale factor increases, and the proper time also increases. This means that the further back in time we go, the smaller the scale factor and the shorter the proper time.

4. How can proper time be visualized in the FLRW metric?

Proper time can be visualized as a curved line on a spacetime diagram, where the horizontal axis represents space and the vertical axis represents time. As the universe expands, the proper time curve becomes steeper, indicating an increase in the rate of expansion.

5. What is the significance of exploring proper time in the FLRW metric?

Studying proper time in the FLRW metric allows us to understand how the universe has evolved over time and how it will continue to evolve in the future. It also helps us to make predictions about the behavior of the universe, such as the expansion rate and the age of the universe.