Meaning of the Hamiltonian when it is not energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the negative value of the energy ##E##, which is defined as the sum of the kinetic energy ##T## and work done on the system, in a system with an initial radial position and radial velocity. The participants also touch upon the constraint forces and their work input, as well as the definition of energy and the use of Noether's theorem. It is noted that the book may use a different definition of energy.
Happiness
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.22.42 pm.png

Suppose the initial radial position and radial velocity of the bead are ##r_0>0## and ##0## respectively. Then ##E## is negative. Is there any significance to the negative value of ##E##? Note that ##E## is defined by (5.52) and given by (5.144) below.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 5.00.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.22.57 pm.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi happy,
Well what do you think of the paragraph 'The main point here ... ' ?

BvU said:
Hi happy,
Well what do you think of the paragraph 'The main point here ... ' ?

Hi BvU,

It suggests that ##E## is the energy of the system ##+## work done on the system ##+## a constant, right? And in this case, that constant is negative.

In this case L = T (there is no V). That is all the energy in the system. If the driving force to keep ##\omega## constant stops acting, then I suppose T will remain constant.
I think you have to solve the EL equations to find the constraint forces and that way you'll find their work input is ##m\omega^2##. All the kinetic energy change comes from the driving force (torque).

BvU said:
In this case L = T (there is no V). That is all the energy in the system. If the driving force to keep ##\omega## constant stops acting, then I suppose T will remain constant.
I think you have to solve the EL equations to find the constraint forces and that way you'll find their work input is ##m\omega^2##. All the kinetic energy change comes from the driving force (torque).

I can't find the constraint force using the standard method of EL equations with Lagrange undetermined multipliers:

$$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot q_i}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}+F_i\frac{\partial\eta}{\partial q_i}$$

where ##F_i## is the generalized constraint force and ##\eta=0## is the constraint equation. In this case, ##\eta=\dot\theta-\omega=0##. Since ##\eta## does not depend on ##r## or ##\theta##, ##\frac{\partial\eta}{\partial q_i}=0## and the above equations reduce to the usual EL equations without ##F##.

How do you solve for the constraint force?

I do not understand, why the textbook says, ##E## is not the energy of the bead. It depends on the definition of the book. For me energy is the conserved quantity defined via Noether's theorem as the generator of spatial translations, and that's the Hamiltonian. It's clear that the kinetic energy for itself is not conserved since you apply work via the external force to keep ##\omega=\text{const}##, but why ##E## is not called the total energy of the bead here, is not clear to me.

vanhees71 said:
I do not understand, why the textbook says, ##E## is not the energy of the bead. It depends on the definition of the book. For me energy is the conserved quantity defined via Noether's theorem as the generator of spatial translations, and that's the Hamiltonian. It's clear that the kinetic energy for itself is not conserved since you apply work via the external force to keep ##\omega=\text{const}##, but why ##E## is not called the total energy of the bead here, is not clear to me.

Your question is answered by the following remark.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 1.46.49 am.png

Ok, then the book uses a different definition of energy than I do. Then it's of course consistent in itself.

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is used to describe the dynamics of a system and is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to energy?

The Hamiltonian is related to energy through the Hamiltonian equation, which states that the time derivative of the Hamiltonian is equal to the negative of the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to time. This means that the Hamiltonian can be used to calculate the energy of a system at any given time.

3. Can the Hamiltonian represent something other than energy?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can represent other physical quantities besides energy. It is often used to describe the total angular momentum or the total charge of a system. In these cases, the Hamiltonian is modified to include additional terms that account for these other quantities.

4. When is the Hamiltonian not related to energy?

The Hamiltonian is not related to energy in systems that are not in equilibrium. In these cases, the Hamiltonian may represent the total potential energy of the system or other physical quantities, but it cannot be directly equated to the total energy.

5. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the time evolution of quantum states. It is used to determine the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time and to predict the behavior of a system over time. The Hamiltonian is also used in solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave function of a quantum system.